RS Whistler prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Expensive

Yes, I noticed this expensive price for a digital scanner. I read one of Whistler's press releases about how they were going to lower the cost of scanners. In this, they made mention of the elevated price of $699 for the PSR 800. So, I guess they are making reference to the cost savings from this high price.

What I don't understand is the price of the radio being high at all. GRE already bought the proprietary access to the various systems. From what I've understood, the high cost of digital scanners is directly related to software acquisition. I might be wrong.

Last edited:

SquierStrat

You guys must not remember their inflated prices when they sold GRE scanners on their website... Their radio shack brand equivalents are generally much cheaper..

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
RS Branding

You guys must not remember their inflated prices when they sold GRE scanners on their website... Their radio shack brand equivalents are generally much cheaper..

Come to think of it, I do indeed recall RS selling the GRE radios for a higher price. However, I've not read where RS has opted to brand one of these Whistler-made radios yet.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Come to think of it, I do indeed recall RS selling the GRE radios for a higher price. However, I've not read where RS has opted to brand one of these Whistler-made radios yet.

According to this post from Lindsay, Whistler plans to release at least 4 scanners under the Radio Shack brand label.

The following models will be manufactured for Radio Shack by Whistler:

• PRO-652 - identical to the previous PRO-197 model. Digital trunking full coverage base scanner
  • PRO-651 - identical to the previous PRO-106 model. Digital trunking full coverage handheld scanner
  • PRO-650 - identical to the previous PRO-405 model. Analog base scanner, 25-512 MHz only
  • PRO-649 - identical to the previous PRO-404 model. Analog handheld scanner, 25-512 MHz only
http://forums.radioreference.com/co...o-shack-scanner-product-line.html#post2043001

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why would anybody buy an old GRE PSR 600 that just had the name changed on the front plate for 600 bucks. That's crazy. No way. This price will probably go down to 399.00 or something. I think 349.99 is a fair price for that old beater unit.

They just won't sell any of these radios at this price when you can buy a Uniden with more bells and whistles and Phase II TDMA

LIScanner101

Actually that's an original GRE, not a new Whistler unit.

They may technically be the same, but the former was made by GRE and the latter is made by Whistler.

They may actually not have the same performance even though the latter is supposed to be a clone of the former. It all comes down to the quality of the tranfer of the technology, assembly, test etc.

Last edited:

puzzleriddle

Actually that's an original GRE, not a new Whistler unit.

They may technically be the same, but the former was made by Whistler and the latter is made by Whistler.

They may actually not have the same performance even though the latter is supposed to be a clone of the former. It all comes down to the quality of the tranfer of the technology, assembly, test etc.

ya mean formerly made by GRE?:)

LIScanner101

Ok so how much are the ones going to be that do phase 2?!!

In order to be on the same marketable playing field I can't imagine them being far north or south of Uniden pricing. However, if Uniden addresses all the issues and the upcoming app release goes famously then GRE may have to start unbuckling its pants and prepare to drop its drawers.

SCPD

QRT
Good thread Guys, good answers and guesses.

Yeah I remember when RS was selling GRE at inflated prices, but they were selling Uniden even more inflated. I just don't get their marking concept considering RS is falling apart, closing 500 stores and trying to better their image. Yet selling Scanners by Whistler at NEW Uniden prices just gives me a migrane.

Now if RS had current Inventory of the Whistler/Shack scanner then yes it makes sense to advertise the Whistler higher so they might sell a RS/WS lower and make all the dollars. I get that!

What I was really pointing out was they had the WS for $599 which is a 4 or 5 year old scanner (Internally) When one can buy a New Uniden with more bells and whistles, improved vocoder, greater range of technology for $599 and have it in the same amount of time. Just blows me away!

fxd good to see your post on Shack/WS Models. I'm sure there will be some firmware differences between the RS and the actual WS brands. Any clue when these are supposed to hit retail?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
What I don't understand is the price of the radio being high at all. GRE already bought the proprietary access to the various systems. From what I've understood, the high cost of digital scanners is directly related to software acquisition. I might be wrong.

Do you have a source for that rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.