BC780XLT: RS232 missing for "E-Scanner" use on my newer laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fosko

I'm sure many have had this issue using older scanners. I have a Bearcat 780XLT and own a copy of "E-Scanner" but my newer Toshiba doesn't support an RS232 port. Looking for recommendations for any adaptor that is used successfully for RS232 from USB on Windows 10? Been looking at Serial Comm USB To RS-232-2 Converter and supplied driver, but unsure if it will work with the "E-Scanner Plus" and USB adaptor. TIA folks if anyone has info for me. My old Toshiba laptop which had RS 232 died on me and left me on a limb....

Sorry for old stuff, but I have been out of service for several years and now need to revive my scanners and skills to get going again.

Last edited:

Ubbe

The USB to rs232 adapter needs to use a chip and driver that are win10 compatibel, check for that. Also check that the E-Scanner program actually can run in a win10 enviroment.

/Ubbe

garys

Premium Subscriber
Look for an adapter that uses the FTDI chip set. I've used those with great success.

I had really good luck with this one, but there are others that will work.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 780 is supported by ProScan, and the author is here on RR. Much better program than the old E Scanner.

Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have several older radios that use a true com port, and after a couple of not very successful USB to com adapters, I set up a Windows XP computer that works better than anything else I tried. Cost was low and results were excellent.

Fosko

Look for an adapter that uses the FTDI chip set. I've used those with great success.

I had really good luck with this one, but there are others that will work.

The Serialcomm RS232 - 2 USES THE FTDI CHIPSET so I ordered it. Don't want to try the software until I get the RS 232 adapter up and running. Time will tell. Thanks for your comment.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've found that a lot of different brands of adapter using the FTDI chip set have worked. The IOGear worked up through Windows10 to connect to the FT8800R that I have. Those were reported to be very fussy about using serial adapters to connect to software, but I never had a problem.

The Serialcomm RS232 - 2 USES THE FTDI CHIPSET so I ordered it. Don't want to try the software until I get the RS 232 adapter up and running. Time will tell. Thanks for your comment.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I still have a Keyspan adapter from 2009 that works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.