RS800 asthetic antenna modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah, that looks SOOOO much better! Rubber heat shrink tubing and a lighter, total cost, 10 cents. I will be doing something similar with an OEM Motorola 800 antenna and an SMA-SMA adapter soon as well.

Attachments

• DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 541

DJ11DLN

Are you able to remove it from the scanner if needed, or is it sort of semi-permanently "glued" to the BNC?:confused:

Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing if you never need to remove it, and certainly would keep a lot of moisture, dust, crud, etc out. And easily cut off if necessary, just wondering if it will come off and leave the shrink tubing intact.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I had a sparer extra BNC-SMA adapter, so I shrink wrapped the antenna to it permanently. I could slice it around the mating point, and allow it to be removed and replaced if I really wanted to, but I don't have anything with a BNC attachment to put the antenna on, so it looks perty and feels nice and rubbery smooth. Please note that it is on a Uniden scanner with SMA, which requires the big ugly heavy chrome BNC-SMA adapter to be used, which is what you see shrink wrapped to the antenna. :)

Paul

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Oh yeah, that looks SOOOO much better! Rubber heat shrink tubing and a lighter, total cost, 10 cents. I will be doing something similar with an OEM Motorola 800 antenna and an SMA-SMA adapter soon as well.

Now that looks sharp!! Very nicely done.

:)

KF5YDR

Why did scanners switch away from BNC? I get why commercial HT's did it, and ham manufacturers pretty much follow whatever commercial two-way does, but why on a device that never transmits and isn't going to be used in life-and-death environments?

Status
Not open for further replies.