• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RSSI indicator on ASTRO XTS 1500 handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

orte

Premium Subscriber
Hi.

Does anybody know how to get or activate the RSSI (in db?) in the display of an XTS1500 handheld?

Thanks

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Pretty sure there's no such thing.

There is an RSSI indicator but it's definitely not in db.

orte

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Now I know it can be done. Yes, it is a trunking radio. Do you know the parameter name in the Motorola software that turns it ON OFF?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It's not in dB as Mike said, but you want to put the "RSSI" menu option on a button. Look in Radio Wide>Menu if I recall correctly.

orte

Premium Subscriber
Bad luck. I've looked in the ASTRO CPS software (R20.00), and RSSI is not in the assignment for buttons or switches. There is a "menu" thing in Radio Wide/Display/Menu but I don't see RSSI anywhere. I've found some numerical values for RSSI (they recommend not to touch them) but I cannot find how to put the RSSI (4 bars) on the display.

Did you mean to look in the Flashport (operating system) software?

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
RSSI typically shows when you have a SITE button programmed.

As for the signal strength on the display, are you on a trunking system and are you a user? That display is only available when you're sitting I a trunking system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The bar display I don't know about; I was referring to the SITE function (I'm not near my programming computer right now). Pressing the button once will show you your current site and the RSSI value. Holding the button down past the 'long press' duration forces a spectrum wide CC scan (IIRC).

Last edited:

orte

Premium Subscriber
I got it.

This is what I did:

1 read device
2 go to trunking system-1
3 go to General
4 go to Coverage type
5 select SmartZone (instead of None)

reprogram radio

Now it always shows when turning on the radio

orte

Premium Subscriber
two more things:

I can get a numerical RSSI in dB by programming a button with "Site Displ/Srch" option. When I pres the button, the display says something like RSSI 69 (or a similar number)

But a bad thing is that now I cannot TX. I receive fine but I cannot talk. but if I put the "Coverage type" field back to Disable (from SmartZone), then TX works fine again. Anybody knows whats going on?

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
two more things:

I can get a numerical RSSI in dB by programming a button with "Site Displ/Srch" option.

Once again, no you can't. That number is not in DB. It's in some arbitrary scale that Motorola has chosen.

kb0uxv

Do you need to click the "site alias" box under TRS and then populate that list with some data in order for this to function when not set to smart zone?

Site Displ/Srch is the correct button for RSSI on a portable, press and hold to jump to another site. In my experience the numbers are in the range of 0-160, and anything better than 40-50 is normally reliable for talk out. I have never scene any tables that compare the Motorola scale to dB, dBm, etc.

With that said if the radio is only being used to scan a system then these buttons should have no function, if you can use that button and can see site data then you have affiliated and will cause harm to the radio with your fraudulent ID, and are probably commiting a criminal offense in your state. It looks like Orte is a valid system user since he depends on transmitting, but I wanted to throw that in for others using XTS as scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.