R30 RT Systems R30 has update available

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
FYI - RT Systems has an update for the R30 software available.
It updates the program to version 5.00.26

No clue what it fixes or adds though.

DonWetter

Premium Subscriber
RT Systems current update

At least one fix is a months long problem I had with downloading from the radio any CTCSS tones... RT tech support stated - "It was related to the FM Narrow setting not properly handling the tones." Software functions well now.
Don

kruser

Premium Subscriber
At least one fix is a months long problem I had with downloading from the radio any CTCSS tones... RT tech support stated - "It was related to the FM Narrow setting not properly handling the tones." Software functions well now.
Don

Thanks for sharing what you know has been fixed.
It's always a challenge figuring this out if you don't use certain features!

N3CI

Premium Subscriber
I just updated the software today and added a bunch of new entries to my previous list. I wanted to take the R30 on a trip tomorrow.

Unfortunately, now the software won't talk to my R30. I can transfer data from the radio, but when I try to send my new file to the radio it gives me an error message and completely erases the R30. It also will not allow me to reinstall by old database. That'll teach me to try to update before a trip!
Very nice tech at RT asked me to send the file for them to look at, but I am wondering if there is not some better system to program this radio?

CQ

I just updated the software today and added a bunch of new entries to my previous list. I wanted to take the R30 on a trip tomorrow.

Unfortunately, now the software won't talk to my R30. I can transfer data from the radio, but when I try to send my new file to the radio it gives me an error message and completely erases the R30. It also will not allow me to reinstall by old database. That'll teach me to try to update before a trip!
Very nice tech at RT asked me to send the file for them to look at, but I am wondering if there is not some better system to program this radio?

I updated mine when it came out but haven't updated freqs since. I spent a good amount of time yesterday setting up groups etc. and the same thing happended to me where I got an error at the end and wiped out my config. Happened a couple times but gave up since it was late at night. I haven't reverted to a last known working config yet.

N3CI

Premium Subscriber
CQ: Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. I am awaiting a response from RT systems to confirm there is a bug in the software.

CQ

Uploading my last known good config with the updated RT Systems version also failed!

I did a full reset on the R30.

Decided to copy my first bank of memories into Butel's ARC30 with just a bare minimum of freq, name and rf gain and was able to upload that into the R30 but got a note that some corrections were made; duplex and skip were automatically added. I then read the data from the R30 into the RT Systems software and pulled it in. I next uploaded that same config into the R30 and got another ERROR!

I've never had an issue with RT software with amateur radios and now there's a major issue with this version wiping your data and no way to recover.

I was able to restore the one band I tested with ARC30 and it's back. This bank was simple analog but have others that are digital, and a PITA to get to where I think I should be. Copying over manually with the rudimentary ARC30 software will not be fun.

You asked about programming software and those are the two I've tried with the latter being the least expensive at $15 and wasn't used because RT was doing the job. Looks like I have that to fall back on but not desperate enough to tackle that tonight. I don't think the icom software is much better but haven't gotten answers to some questions about it and not worth testing for that price...especially not being able to download a copy and go through the hassle of buying a CD for it. About the only real positive I've read was that it was fast to write configs...I do other things while the configs are written to so not a deciding factor for me.

Good luck and please update if you get a response from RT. Let them know you're not the only one so far.

CQ

The new v5.00.28 update (ICR30_V5.dll 5.0.27.0 and RT10_V5.dll 5.0.64.0) released today fixed the issue of not being able to write to the IC-R30.

N3CI

Premium Subscriber
I am traveling and just saw the email. Good news on the fix and I am anxious to get the R30 back in service.

Email from RT below:
We just released an update to fix that issue on the IC-R30. You can download that update from the link below,

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/kb_results.asp?ID=246

Hopefully that will take care of the issue for you. if you have any further trouble, let us know and we'll be glad to help.

dmaria

Anymore updates on the RT software. I will have an IC-R30 arriving tomorrow and would like to get the software. I wanted DMR, but It's apparent that AOR has buried their head in the sand over some serious issues.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
With regard to the RT software, do I really need their programming cable? Is there anything special about it, or is it just a standard USB to micro USB cable?

CQ

Latest RT Systems IC-R30 update noted today.
RadioEngine_V5.exe 5.0.34.0
RTDoc_V5.dll 5.0.58.0

Software version 5.00.28

Only need the cable that came with the radio and use serial mode to interface. The $25 software only download works.

dmaria

Bought the RT Systems software today, and within 5 minutes I found 2 bugs and a very annoying problem. When importing from Radio Reference, NXDN shows up as DXDN (I consider this a serious bug). If you then copy and paste to your memories, it becomes FMN. This leaves you with a lot of cleanup if you import counties with many NXDN users. The second, not so serious bug, was when I went to Help-About menu and nothing showed up. I wanted to see which version I had. I played around enough that I found out it only worked if you are on the main tab. The really annoying thing is starting the program - it takes a full 25 seconds to start up. I have never had this with any RT software (and I have many).

Called RT Systems this morning and was told they were all busy, but they would call me back. They didn't.

Received my IC-R30 today and it was DOA. Had to send it back. All in all - not a good day......

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Was almost ready to get this receive but looks to have to many bugs at the moment. As with anything new, will take time to fix, but seems rushed out before it was ready for prime time. I will monitor this thread for further updates.

CQ

Was almost ready to get this receive but looks to have to many bugs at the moment. As with anything new, will take time to fix, but seems rushed out before it was ready for prime time. I will monitor this thread for further updates.

The IC-R30 itself has been pretty solid at the current firmware. You can manually program it if you'd like. The RT Systems software is the piece that's still somewhat buggy. Definitely not as polished as their amateur transceiver software. Don't know about the icom software since the price for admission and the wait for optical media isn't worth it for little, if any benefit over the RT Systems software.

Bought the RT Systems software today, and within 5 minutes I found 2 bugs and a very annoying problem. When importing from Radio Reference, NXDN shows up as DXDN (I consider this a serious bug). If you then copy and paste to your memories, it becomes FMN. This leaves you with a lot of cleanup if you import counties with many NXDN users. The second, not so serious bug, was when I went to Help-About menu and nothing showed up. I wanted to see which version I had. I played around enough that I found out it only worked if you are on the main tab. The really annoying thing is starting the program - it takes a full 25 seconds to start up. I have never had this with any RT software (and I have many).

Called RT Systems this morning and was told they were all busy, but they would call me back. They didn't.

Received my IC-R30 today and it was DOA. Had to send it back. All in all - not a good day......

I don't have much NXDN in my area of interest so haven't seen that behaviour which would be annoying.

My startup time was about 15 seconds but typically am doing several things when I launch so not staring and waiting.

I looked through the help/about in different tabs and worked okay.

There's a TravelPlusConverter_V5.dll update today 5.0.53.0

Wow, that's a real bummer about the DOA unit! Hopefully they will cross-ship a new one.

Hit_Factor

The bugs are with RT Systems. The receiver works great.

The DOA unit mentioned above is not the norm. Other than step size not meeting some people's needs, complaints about the radio are almost nonexistent. Oh, add everyone would like it to decode DMR.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

dmaria

The IC-R30 itself has been pretty solid at the current firmware. You can manually program it if you'd like. The RT Systems software is the piece that's still somewhat buggy. Definitely not as polished as their amateur transceiver software. Don't know about the icom software since the price for admission and the wait for optical media isn't worth it for little, if any benefit over the RT Systems software.

I don't have much NXDN in my area of interest so haven't seen that behaviour which would be annoying.

My startup time was about 15 seconds but typically am doing several things when I launch so not staring and waiting.

I looked through the help/about in different tabs and worked okay.

There's a TravelPlusConverter_V5.dll update today 5.0.53.0

Wow, that's a real bummer about the DOA unit! Hopefully they will cross-ship a new one.

No, they didn't cross-ship. I got it thru HRO and hopefully it won't take too long. Icom tech support asked me to send it to a repair depot in Michigan, but after looking at the paperwork I had to fill out I elected not to. It asked for a credit card number and that's not going to happen for a radio that didn't work out of the box.

CQ

No, they didn't cross-ship. I got it thru HRO and hopefully it won't take too long. Icom tech support asked me to send it to a repair depot in Michigan, but after looking at the paperwork I had to fill out I elected not to. It asked for a credit card number and that's not going to happen for a radio that didn't work out of the box.

Oh, hell, no. No warranty nonsense for me neither. Anything I buy, and is a problem during the return period, goes back to the retailer for a NEW exchange. I don't play the refurb (someone else's problem) game.

I love how several manufacturers put notes in their packaging to go through their support for returns and not place of purchase.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Your report of a DOA R30 is the first I've seen. All I know of were in perfect working order upon receipt so I'd say this is a rare occurrence.
And yes, RT's software is slow to start. If that really bugs you (it did me!), go with Icom's software. Icom's software is very fast but of course is also limited in what it can do. It does what it is supposed to do though very well and without error.

Status
Not open for further replies.