RTL Dongel -> Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey
When i use the Dongle it will me very hot.
So i want to cool it down. Maybe i will use a Heatpipe.
42932d1378778591-custom-rtl-sdr-sdr-stripped-desoldered.jpg

Source: KC8ESL

But which piece of the Dongle will be hot?
Thanks!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I can't really answer that question. But let me make a comment. None of the dongles I I ever had got hot when powered directly from the USB on the computer. But, two weeks ago I bought a powered USB hub to insert my RTL sticks into so I had one handy place for them all. When i have power connected to that USB hub, the sticks run super hot. I'd venture to say their lifetime is going to be shortened if I continue to use the USB hub in a powered state.

When I unplug the USB hub power, I can still run two dongles on the hub [I didn't try more] and there is no longer a heat issue.

Do you happen to be using a powered USB hub? The last two RTLs I bought were the Nooelec Nanos. And when plugged into the USB hub with the USB hub powered by the adaptor, the antenna jack gets so hot to the touch that it can actually sear the skin. Fire hazard for me considering how much useless stuff I have packed into the area where the USB hub is.

Just using the power from the USB port on the computer, I've never had / noticed a heat issue on a cheap RTL stick or an FCDPP.

Mike

Your_account

Banned
My Dongle is connected directly to my Pc no USB Hub between.
I use the cheapest R820T i found on Ebay. The drift when the heat it up is so hight. The drift about 1mhz...

So i want to cool it down and stop the drifting when i open my Window during the winter.
Later i put in a Alu Case thats perfect for an "Headpipe".

Your_account

Banned
Ok its easy to cool down the "blue" one Thats very smooth and flat.
The "green" one can be an problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.