RTL Dongle Stock Antenna Replacement for VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHuntHurts

Hi all.

I need some advice on building a better antenna to replace the stock whip antenna that ships with the rtl dongle.

I've just recently started using rtlsdr and so far I've been messing with Police CB and FM Radio. I'm no expert, but I think that these would fall within the VHF frequencty range, yes?

I currently have the whip antenna indoors and it's been doing a pretty decent job! :)

I now want to improve my signal quality and range of my VHF reception.

What would be the best antenna for me to construct?

Many thanks!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
"Best" is a relative term subject to a lot of different meanings and interpretation. So ignoring that, here's something that works very well and is simple and inexpensive to try.
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki
Scroll down the RR Wiki page to see the all-wire version. Doubting that it works? Search here on RR for a few hundred reviews and dozens of threads.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
CB (27MHz) is closer to HF than VHF, and an antenna that will pick it up will is not going to pick up any police comms or broadcast FM radio worth crap. Most police frequencies are UHF, either 400MHz or 800MHz bands.

MikeHuntHurts

"Best" is a relative term subject to a lot of different meanings and interpretation. So ignoring that, here's something that works very well and is simple and inexpensive to try.
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki
Scroll down the RR Wiki page to see the all-wire version. Doubting that it works? Search here on RR for a few hundred reviews and dozens of threads.

Many thanks!

Will certainly look into that!

Is this the RR wiki page you mentioned:

Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

MikeHuntHurts

CB (27MHz) is closer to HF than VHF, and an antenna that will pick it up will is not going to pick up any police comms or broadcast FM radio worth crap. Most police frequencies are UHF, either 400MHz or 800MHz bands.

Hi.

Perhaps I am mistaken with my terminology, but I definately pick up Police radio, below 400MHz, in my area!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
My Off-Center Fed Dipole mounted in my attic picks up VHF Low Band, 10M Amateur Radio, and CB quite well (in addition to all of the VHF Hi-Band, UHF, etc.). I live near an interstate highway and hear quite a bit of CB chatter on my HP-2. So much so that I usually lock out the busiest CB channels. On 10 meters I use it to be aware of band openings (29.620 FM comes alive with repeater activity), and I receive the local electric utility's channels and CW IDers 24/7 on 37 mHz. The OCFD definitely does receive 29-50 mHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.