RTL-SDR Failure to receive analog audio on SDR#

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltginrage

I just purchased a RTL SDR on amazon and I have dsd+ installed. I opened sdr# and tried to tune to a local fire dispatch during a incident and was unable to to pickup anything even though it showed activity on the waterfall. I tried the last SO on analog and didnt recive them. Lastly I went to several FM stations and local NWS VHF channel and got nothing. Am I missing something?

a417

are you piping the audio out via a virtual cable by accident?

a417

Just asking. Lot of people that install SDR# use it to feed a DSD+ instance, so I'm just making sure.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Well, are you getting any audio at all, even outside of SDR#? Could be something simple, like speakers turned down, etc. Or, you might need to check your squelch level, or make sure the software is set to use an audio output device. I'm not overly familiar with SDR#, but you may need to check over your settings just to make sure it knows which audio device to use, and that its not turned down too low, etc.

rabbit108

I just purchased a RTL SDR and I have dsd+ installed. I opened sdr# and tried to tune to a local fire dispatch during a incident and was unable to to pickup anything even though it showed activity on the waterfall......I went to several FM stations and local NWS VHF channel and got nothing.
Good suggestions by lwvmobile.

You shouldn't need DSD+ to receive the audio from a local NWS VHF channel.

When you were setting up SDR# for the RTL-SDR dongle did you click on install-rtlsdr?

rtl_test1_1.jpg

2021-01-14 09-39-25 NOAA WX PrtScr_1.jpg

2021-01-14 NOAA WX PC_1.JPG

Video with audio; NOAA in public domain

download and view now; takes a while to download
2021-01-14 09-39-25 NOAA WX.mp4

download and view later
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3jriyxnz77lt6e/2021-01-14 09-39-25 NOAA WX.mp4?dl=1

I use VLC media player.

If you are still having trouble, I suggest you uninstall SDR# and DSD+ and then reinstall SDR#.

Installing RTL-SDR & SDR Sharp on Win10 Made Easy - TheSmokinApe

Last edited:

ltginrage

Well, are you getting any audio at all, even outside of SDR#? Could be something simple, like speakers turned down, etc. Or, you might need to check your squelch level, or make sure the software is set to use an audio output device. I'm not overly familiar with SDR#, but you may need to check over your settings just to make sure it knows which audio device to use, and that its not turned down too low, etc.
I am getting audio on dsd+ monitoring a P25 system. Ill check the settings
Good suggestions by lwvmobile.

You shouldn't need DSD+ to receive the audio from a local NWS VHF channel.

When you were setting up SDR# for the RTL-SDR dongle did you click on install-rtlsdr?
I don't remember if we did or not I will go do it again to make sure.

ltginrage

I've tried everything mentioned above with no results. Yesterday night I messed with alot of settings just playing around with it and I got it to the point I can recive stuff not sure how I did it but I belive it was something with the gain settings.

On to the next project with the RTL-SDR

rabbit108

Yesterday night I messed with a lot of settings just playing around with it and I got it to the point I can receive stuff not sure how I did it but I belive it was something with the gain settings.
Were you finally able to receive the analog audio on the NOAA weather channel?
On to the next project with the RTL-SDR
Which RTL-SDR do you have, the RTL-SDR.COM V3 like I have, or another like the Nooelec NESDR SMArTee v2 SDR - Premium RTL-SDR?

ltginrage

I receive everything now. Not sure which one, its the RTL SDR bundle kit on amazon and its say v3 on the dongle.

Status
Not open for further replies.