RTL-SDR no working software available for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC7ECO

I purchased a RTL-SDR dongle and tried to find software with out any luck. Beware that you can run Android, and Mac but won't run under windows xp, also can't run under windows 7 64 bit or if windows 10 64 bit is updated you won't run either. The drivers and software are very complex so and are not available for most windows product.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Beware? There is antiquated software archived out there for those older OS's. Higher end "expensive" for purpose SDR's are more plug n play.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a RTL-SDR dongle and tried to find software with out any luck. Beware that you can run Android, and Mac but won't run under windows xp, also can't run under windows 7 64 bit or if windows 10 64 bit is updated you won't run either. The drivers and software are very complex so and are not available for most windows product.

I use all types of software with it on a Win 7 64-bit. Never had any software for an RTL-SRD fail on that PC. Do you know about zadig and how to properly use it to install the correct driver? If not, that is your problem. "The drivers and software are very complex so and are not available for most windows product."-entirely false (RTL-SDR have always been used on Windows machines more than anywhere else).

rabbit108

I purchased a RTL-SDR dongle and tried to find software with out any luck. Beware that you can run Android, and Mac but won't run under windows xp, also can't run under windows 7 64 bit or if windows 10 64 bit is updated you won't run either.
Hello, KC7ECO; welcome to the forum.

Which RTL-SDR dongle do you have, the RTL-SDR.COM V3?

The drivers and software are very complex.
Yeah, with SDR# (SDRsharp) you have to do it just right, or it will not work. Also, the older versions of SDR# used a different Zadig driver than the new versions. There is other software available for use with the dongle, besides SDR#.

I like version 1732 of SDR# for the dongle. The latest version is here:
SDR# and Airspy Downloads - airspy.com

I can show you how to use your RTL-SDR dongle, step by step, with Windows 10 or Windows 7 64-bit.

This video is a pretty good tutorial:

rabbit108

There is an error in the video for the device in the newer versions of SDR#:

Wrong device for Zadig driver with new SDRsharp versions_2.jpg

it will look like this:

2021-3-26 v1810 has Zadig v2.4_1.jpg

The device will show like this in your Device Manager:

2021-3-26 v1810 Setup7_1.jpg

rabbit108

This is what the RTL-SDR dongle looks like in SDR# v1810:

2021-3-26 v1810 Setup10_1.jpg

The default display is dark, but I prefer a light display:

3-30-2021 Light Display_1.jpg

If you don't like SDR# with the dongle you could upgrade to an RSPplay RSP1A SDR (~$100) with SDRuno software, but you would still have to learn how to use it like with SDR#:

2-11-2021 test4_1.jpg

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Huh? Running all different kinds of SDR, including cheap $19 ones from Amazon on a Windows 10 x64 machine that is fully updated with no issues at all. The OP (with a single post) is obviously trolling, no human could be that stupid.

KC7ECO

I use all types of software with it on a Win 7 64-bit. Never had any software for an RTL-SRD fail on that PC. Do you know about zadig and how to properly use it to install the correct driver? If not, that is your problem. "The drivers and software are very complex so and are not available for most windows product."-entirely false (RTL-SDR have always been used on Windows machines more than anywhere else).
I did use zadig and installed the correct driver, device manager shows the correct driver ok, but the application software only runs windows 7 x86, the software from RTL-SDR.com said can't be used on XP, or win 7 64-bit. I was told older version work but not able to find online.

sjacket99

FuzzThePiGuy
Feed Provider
I run SDR#, HDSDR, and SDRAngel fine with Windows 10. Also DSD and other ham radio software.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
I did use zadig and installed the correct driver, device manager shows the correct driver ok, but the application software only runs windows 7 x86, the software from RTL-SDR.com said can't be used on XP, or win 7 64-bit. I was told older version work but not able to find online.

rabbit108

What do you want to do with the RTL-SDR that you can't do now?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
but the application software only runs windows 7 x86,
I am running pre .Net 5.0 versions of sdr# on 2 win 7 64 bit machines and a fully updated win 10 64 bit machine.

Sdr# itself is only 32 bit.

RTL-SDR.com said can't be used on XP, or win 7 64-bit.

Pretty sure the guide is for the newer versions of Sdr# that use .Net 5.0, so its kind of confusing for some people. It says,

SDR# (SDRSharp) Set Up Guide (Tested on Windows 10/8/7 32/64 Bit) (XP/Vista Incompatible)

" You must have the Microsoft .NET 5.0 or newer redistributable installed to use SDRSharp. Follow the link and install the redistributable. Most PCs may not have .NET 5.0 installed yet. Note that .NET 5.0 is not compatible with Windows XP. If you are running XP please scroll down on this page and look for the HDSDR or SDR-Console install guides. Note that on some computers you may also need to install the Visual C++ Runtime if it is not already installed. "

It says .Net 5.0 is not compatible with Xp. It also says tested on Win 7, 8 and 10 , 32/64 bit. I do not have .Net 5.0 installed on the win 7 machines and the highest version of sdr# I run on them is #1742

I was told older version work but not able to find online.
Older versions of SDR#
Index of /software/SDRSharp

As of March 2020, Zadig 2.5 or higher will no longer work on xp or vista. There are older version out there.

Older versions of Zadig
Index of /downloads

All you need to do is download the last version of sdr# there was before it started using net 5.0 and an older Zadig version earlier than 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.