RTL SDR not recognized by computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

For some reason one of my older RTL-SDR's stopped being recognized by my computer today. I tried restarting the computer, trying different ports, and testing other dongles. For some reason its still not being picked up by the computer while my other dongle is. It is a V.3 dongle from 2017. Should I just order another one or is there something I am missing?

-Firebal

BigRedBox80

Feed Provider
Hello all,

For some reason one of my older RTL-SDR's stopped being recognized by my computer today. I tried restarting the computer, trying different ports, and testing other dongles. For some reason its still not being picked up by the computer while my other dongle is. It is a V.3 dongle from 2017. Should I just order another one or is there something I am missing?

-Firebal

Probably died but have you tried another PC just to verify?

a417

you have to remember that it's produced at a very low price point, don't expect miracles, consistency or longevity. Sometimes, they just die...

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Did you try reloading the driver? I've had that same problem and just reloaded the driver using Zadig, then reboot the computer.

boatbod

Couple things to check before tossing it in the garbage.

Check the output of "dmesg" command before and then after plugging the dongle in. Does you see any messages suggesting the kernel is seeing the device?

Repeat the same test, but using 'lsusb' command instead of dmesg.

a417

just want to clarify the previous two posts if i might.

for windows - obviously check to see if it's showing up in the windows device manager as an identified device.
Did you try reloading the driver? I've had that same problem and just reloaded the driver using Zadig, then reboot the computer.

for linux
Check the output of "dmesg" command before and then after plugging the dongle in. Does you see any messages suggesting the kernel is seeing the device?

Repeat the same test, but using 'lsusb' command instead of dmesg.
I'd run at a shell prompt, Debian now requires sudo for dmesg unless you turn it off in the kernel, ymmv
Bash:
lsusb -v | grep RTL
dmesg | grep usb
I just habitually add the -v verbosity flag and then grep by whatever i'm hunting for

firebal

Premium Subscriber
just want to clarify the previous two posts if i might.

for windows - obviously check to see if it's showing up in the windows device manager as an identified device.

for linux

I'd run at a shell prompt, Debian now requires sudo for dmesg unless you turn it off in the kernel, ymmv
Bash:
lsusb -v | grep RTL
dmesg | grep usb
I just habitually add the -v verbosity flag and then grep by whatever i'm hunting for

I'm on Windows. It is not showing up in the device manager. And I cannot load the driver as it is not picking it up in zadig.

boatbod

I'm on Windows. It is not showing up in the device manager. And I cannot load the driver as it is not picking it up in zadig.
Ah well in that case ignore my suggestion which only applies to Linux.
Suggest you try the dongle in another machine and see if it behaves the same way. They do go bad occasionally.

radioopperator

Feed Provider
Anyone have one of these working? I can't seem to get any drivers to work on windows?
Thanks.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 10

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
It is a RL-SDR and zadig should do the job. I think you may have do have to do something like use the Q in software to do HF.

radioopperator

Feed Provider
Can't see it as device #1-#4 computer don't beep when plugged in and don't see at all with latest zidag I have a cheaper one working fine went to get a heavier duty in a case and no luck? Want to use on P25

slicerwizard

If Windows doesn't react when you plug it in, it's busted junk, IMO.

And it doesn't strike me as the best choice for P25 monitoring. What's wrong with a bog standard rtl-sdr.com v3 dongle?

wgbecks

It's probably junk as slicerwizard points out... If you haven't tested it on another PC, do so before discarding it.
If it turns out that it does enumerate on another computer, then go here: Tools for Windows and get the
USB Device Tree Viewer, and Device Cleanup tools.

Use these tools to locate and clean the registry of any keys related to the SDR then reboot. The RTL SDR should now enumerate as if
it had never been installed. Run zadig making sure to stroke All Devices under the Options tab to assure that the SDR
device appears in the list for selection and subsequent driver installation.

wgbecks

As a follow-up with regard to using the Device Cleanup Tool be sure to click on Options to select Show Device ID and then
you should see something like this... (Look for Bulk-In. Interface. Right click and delete, reboot and run zadig)

a417

If Windows doesn't react when you plug it in, it's busted junk, IMO.
slicerwizard is right.

If windows doesn't react, as in not even creating an unknown USB device (which it SHOULD do even if it's misconfigured), then I wouldn't even waste my time on plugging in a malfunctioning or blown device into another computer. If i plugged it in and it created a wrong device, or the ambiguous questionmark device icon, that's one thing. I would do something like what you are suggesting.

If the system didn't flinch or even read the ID, it's junk.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The only time I had that happen, it turned out to be a bad USB cable so one should not forget that possibility.

radioopperator

Feed Provider
Well guys I tried a second usb cable before I even posted. I have a second one coming Monday hope that one works? I use the cheap nooelect ones and wanted one a little beefier guess it mat of bit me in the ass? Wont know until Monday.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried with a USB OTG, on an Android device? My RTL-SDR is not registering with my laptop, but work with my Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.