RTL SDR# Nothing Heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Just got the cheapie RTL to see what all the fuss is about. Tried installing on Win10 laptop, no success. Tried install on desktop Win7, no problem whatsoever, everything went as smooth as the install directions. Put the big telescopic antenna on a pie pan on a stool next to me, almost to the ceiling. I am playing around with it and I cannot hear anything but a constant hiss....visual shows no spikes...I put it on the weather broadcast - nothing. Put it on the busy airport tower - nothing. Even went thru FM broadcast in all modes - nothing. What am I not doing here I wonder? Did the RF thing in the settings, have tried that mid-scale and all the way to the right - still nothing heard nowhere. Is there a good online tutorial somewhere I can go to for a step-by-step?

Thanks

JD
kf4anc

mm

on the top left next to PLAY what device is selected? It should be RTL-SDR/USB or similar

Under CONFIGURE which is on the left upper center what is your device set to ?

Click CONFIGURE to open up the RTL-SDR controller sub menu,

Below DEVICE check to make sure that quadrature sampling is set for your SAMPLING MODE.

And move the RF gain slider about 3/4 of max to start with.

Click close to get out of the CONFIGURE menu.

Further down on the left side of the main menus, under AUDIO, make sure that your sample rate is set to 48000 also what are your INPUT selection and your OUTPUT in the AUDIO pull down indicating?

Additionally Under AUDIO make sure that Unity Gain is not, repeat not checked.

Set the AF GAIN slider around 3/4 of max.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
By Golly that did it, I am now hearing and seeing frequencies, thanks very much. The device was wrong, put it on the RTL and voila we have signal. I also adjusted the settings you suggested and now I am hearing FM broadcast and NOAA weather. And, I am off - thanks much!

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Runs great on the desktop, but I cannot seem to install it on the laptop where I actually want it. Went thru all the manual driver installation, downloaded the NET Framework 4.6, then it gave me a 'no device detected' error, I finally got it listed but when I go to it now it says it cannot detect a device. I go back in ZADIG and I select the drop down and do everything step by step but it wont save my work. Everytime I close the program it deletes the settings and is blank when I reopen. BTW I had to delete the original ZADIG and download this one from Airspy per the Manual Driver INstall directions.. Any ideas?

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.