RTL-SDR Windows 11

Lebowski

OG Member
Premium Subscriber
I cannot get the RTL-SDR Dongle to work on a Windows 11 machine. I've tried till I'm blue in the face on more than one system...cannot get a driver to work. Should I just spin up a Win 10 or Linux VM? Or can someone point me to something that works? I found a few YouTube vids etc. and they don't work.

Thanks!!

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Never had an issue getting an rtl dongle to work in my Windows 11 VM, so I really doubt Windows 11 is the issue. Could be a dead dongle, USB related issue, or user error.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Could also be YouTube videos fault. I've found those can be unreliable with out of date information, or out of date people making them.

Download Driver 2.7 64-bit driver from:

Install on bulk in interfaces, or on composite hub, can't remember which. Depends on the application, I think.
SDR# also requires the rtlsdr.dll or whatever in its folder I believe, don't think its in there by default if memory serves.

Lebowski

OG Member
Premium Subscriber
Could also be YouTube videos fault. I've found those can be unreliable with out of date information, or out of date people making them.

Install on bulk in interfaces, or on composite hub, can't remember which. Depends on the application, I think.
SDR# also requires the rtlsdr.dll or whatever in its folder I believe, don't think its in there by default if memory serves.
Thanks, did that a few times. I think I may actually have a bad dongle, never occurred to me.

jocam29594

i have the same problem but i installed parallels on mac pro m1. I could not install rtl-sdr v3 in the virtual machine, neither win10 nor win11. I installed Kali Linux on the same mac and I didn't have any problems with it. This is how I set up parallels VM windows 10 and 11 to a mac computer with an m1 processor.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Thanks, did that a few times. I think I may actually have a bad dongle, never occurred to me.
So, do you have anything at all in your Device Manager with the dongle plugged in, like this:

Screenshot_230.png

or this?
Screenshot_231.png

I've found that if you use Zadig, hit Options and check List All Devices, and uncheck Ignore Hubs or Composite Devices, I have better luck getting some applications to play nicely and enumerate the device index correctly with software (like librtlsdr and RTL_FM) if you install the WinUSB driver directly onto the RTL2838UHIDIR device. Just worth a shot to check and see.

Screenshot_234.png

Oh, and just for claification:
I cannot get the RTL-SDR Dongle to work on a Windows 11 machine. I

Is this on an X86-64 machine, or something like Apple Silicon ARM chip?

Dirk_SDR

I cannot get the RTL-SDR Dongle to work on a Windows 11 machine. I've tried till I'm blue in the face on more than one system...cannot get a driver to work. Should I just spin up a Win 10 or Linux VM? Or can someone point me to something that works? I found a few YouTube vids etc. and they don't work.

Thanks!!
No problems here with W11.
You don't have to "get a (Windows) driver to work". Only install Zadig. If the installation is possible (with a recognized RTLSDR stick!), then everything should be ok.
Then the SDR software (SDR#, HDSDR, ...) should recognize the stick.
New versions of SDR# already contain the .dll for the RTLSDR sticks.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

Composite.

KevinC007

I've got nothing working. Install software, plug in SDR and seems laptops doesn't recognize the stick.. This should have been "easy" according to all people. I'm not a computer guy.

Help anyone?

Windows11_issue.png

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've got nothing working. Install software, plug in SDR and seems laptops doesn't recognize the stick.. This should have been "easy" according to all people. I'm not a computer guy.

Help anyone?

View attachment 121222
You need to download the Zadig software to install the correct drivers correctly for your SDR sticks. If you are not a "computer guy," find one to help as SDR programs and devices require some amount of computer literacy.

Last edited:

sjacket99

FuzzThePiGuy
Feed Provider

Help anyone?

View attachment 121222

Here's a link to my website on how to setup the driver. The video also shows how to change the serial number also. But you only need the driver. Website Link.

MP00047311

Thanks!!
Similar problem in Windows 11 (Dell 7220 Windows 10 upgraded to Windows 11). I know about radio and know about computers, but am challenged by getting the RTL-SDR to work. I've had it working on Android, at least one broadcast FM station (93.1) and it appears to work for AIS (161.975 (Marine ch 87) and 162.025 (ch 88)) but the Android device has only one input so I can't charge and run USB at the same time. Not useful if you need full time AIS. Zadig appears to work. In SDR Sharp, in one configuration, I appear to get random noise at a default frequency, but can't figure out how to get SDR Sharp to receive the frequency I want. I get nothing on the display. The help videos on Zadig and SDR Sharp appear to be for old versions that simply do not work when I'm looking at what's installed. So it may be one of those "where's the 'on' switch" problems. (1) driver (2) receiver operating software (3) select the correct frequency (4) "run"?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Zadig / rtl- sdr / airspy works fine on Win 11 Pro. Doing an in place upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11 however is an imperfect procedure. I always start with a fresh install of a new OS version with Linux and Windows.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Similar problem in Windows 11 (Dell 7220 Windows 10 upgraded to Windows 11). I know about radio and know about computers, but am challenged by getting the RTL-SDR to work. I've had it working on Android, at least one broadcast FM station (93.1) and it appears to work for AIS (161.975 (Marine ch 87) and 162.025 (ch 88)) but the Android device has only one input so I can't charge and run USB at the same time. Not useful if you need full time AIS. Zadig appears to work. In SDR Sharp, in one configuration, I appear to get random noise at a default frequency, but can't figure out how to get SDR Sharp to receive the frequency I want. I get nothing on the display. The help videos on Zadig and SDR Sharp appear to be for old versions that simply do not work when I'm looking at what's installed. So it may be one of those "where's the 'on' switch" problems. (1) driver (2) receiver operating software (3) select the correct frequency (4) "run"?
Watch the first 3 minutes