RTL2832U Aircraft Track-Map Software??

Status
Not open for further replies.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to the sdr world and need some advise. I recently purchased the RTL2832U R820T DVB-T setup with antenna and remote with a disc. abt $11.00 I downloaded the SDRSHARP and have been playing around with the system, pretty neat but now I would like to do more, learn more. I tried to open ADSBSPY and it says cannot open device and later saw where it is not compatable with my particular SDR. So question is what software are you guys using to monitor and map aircraft with. I've heard of ADSBN but I'm not sure exactly what it is or if it's even the wright thing. I've seen several of the YOUTUBE videos, but not sure what I should start out with. Probably something that doesn't require a software engineer to setup. lol

note: I did not use the small disc that came with the Realtek SDR. I assume I will not need anything that is on there since it's up and running already with sdrsharp.

Appreciate it
Larry

Last edited:

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would use ModeSdeco2 ! There are a hand full forums.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure my SDR is compatable with VRS, It's not listed under receiver configuration wizard, only RTL1090 and a number of others, but not mine. When I test connection, "no connection can be made with these settings" because target machine actively refused it.

Dog

I'm not sure my SDR is compatable with VRS, It's not listed under receiver configuration wizard, only RTL1090 and a number of others, but not mine. When I test connection, "no connection can be made with these settings" because target machine actively refused it.

I use Dump1090 into Virtual Radar Server. To use Dump1090 (in windows) you have to get RTL1090 running first so you can just use that if you would like.

There is also PlanePlotter but it only has a 21 day (or something close) trial period then it is a pay app. You have to use RTL1090 or Dump1090 with that.

If you want to see what VRS is like without all the set up you can go to https://www.adsbexchange.com/ then click on "Global Radar View". You can set the options and everything up just like it was on your computer. The only difference is you are viewing what other people are feeding to them.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

RTL1090 is not an SDR, it is a program that decodes signals received by your SDR.

dongle --> RTL1090 --> VRS

SCPD

QRT
I agree with Virtual Radar Server but one drawback is not that it uses the Google Maps API the drawback is Google now requires you to have a public API key for use on public servers like VRS and other sites that use it. VRS has two fields that you can enter the API key.

Last thing I remember from reading a bit of it there is different levels like one is Standard which allows a few free public access connections then Google will charge you. Google wants people to have a payment method to get a Google Maps API key.

However you can view the map while connected to your VRS on the same machine. People connecting into your VRS will not see a map. They will see an error where a map should be. Only thing they see is aircraft information on the right half of the page. Unless you sign up for at least a Standard Google Maps API key and it's found on the Google Developer site.

Same applies for Dump1090.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So my VRS is not public...

Does anyone want share with me? I would be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.