SDR# RTL433 Plugin For SDR# Now Available

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Hello, @Marco402,

When trying to run the RTL433 Plugin (v 1.5.6.1) for SDR# 1910, it displays a "DLL not found" error and crashes when the plugin is started.

I downloaded a fresh copy of SDR# from airspy.com (v 1910), downloaded the latest RTL433 Plugin for SDR# from GitHub - marco402/plugin-Rtl433-for-SdrSharp. Copied the three DLLs from the install\1.5.6.1 folder to C:\sdrsharp-x86 - 1910\Plugins\RTL433 folder. Plugins.xml is not modified (e.g., no "magic line" has been added). Plugin shows up in SDR#, but when enabled and started, it throws the following error:
RTL433 Unhandled Exception.png

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Dll was not found."

"See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.DllNotFoundException: Dll was not found.
at SDRSharp.Rtl_433.NativeMethods.stop_sdr(IntPtr ctx)
at SDRSharp.Rtl_433.ClassInterfaceWithRtl433.call_main_Rtl_433()
at SDRSharp.Rtl_433.Rtl_433_Panel.Start(Boolean senderRadio)
at SDRSharp.Rtl_433.Rtl_433_Panel.buttonStartStop_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)"

[truncated - See attachment for full file]

I took a screen capture from install to crash:

Tried adding the three DLLs straight into the Plugins folder (not in a subfolder), tried even adding the magic line in the Plugins.xml file, but nothing I do seems to prevent it from crashing upon start.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 22H2 on an HP ProDesk400 Mini with an RTL-SDR v3.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• RTL_433 Plugin Error.txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 5

Marco402

Hello bhall7

First, have you adjusted the settings indicated in the plugin window. A sample rate too high can crash rtl433.

Marc

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Hello bhall7

First, have you adjusted the settings indicated in the plugin window. A sample rate too high can crash rtl433.

Marc
Marco, what setting should I adjust? I put the sample rate at 2.5 M.

Marco402

Hello bhall7

You have the settings set displayed by clicking on the Display param button, but it should work at 2.5Mhz.

Could you try version "1.5.6.1 framework 4.6" version 1.5.6.1 being in framework 4.8?

Marc

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Marco, I tried copying the DLLs from the folders 1.5.6.1 framework 4.6 and 1.5.6.1 framework 4.8 and it's the same behavior as before (plug-in is visible, but as soon as you click Start, it crashes with "System.DllNotFoundException: Dll was not found".

Marco402

bhall7, I think it lacks a dll used by rtl_433 on your pc, unfortunately microsoft does not indicate which one.

If you want, you can already try sfc /scannow in a console.

Marc

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
bhall7, I think it lacks a dll used by rtl_433 on your pc, unfortunately microsoft does not indicate which one.

If you want, you can already try sfc /scannow in a console.

Marc
Thanks for your continued help on this, Marc. I ran sfc /scannow and it reported "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." (a review of the log file didn't reveal much helpful or insightful information). I then tried re-copying all of the DLLs from each of the different subfolders at a time under the main install folder to my Plugins folder and restarted and ran SDR# after each time. Every time, after clicking Start, I get the same error and it crashes. Any tips on how to troubleshoot or further diagnose the issue would be greatly appreciated. I can run the standalone RTL433 app in Windows terminal without any problems, but, I would prefer to run it in SDR# for easier use, data viewing and window management.

Marco402

If RTL_433 works in standalone mode, this is interesting information.

I would also be interested in finding the solution to this problem.

I propose you a small try, to remove rtl_433.dll from the plugin folder and compare the details of the error with and without rtl_433.dll. If you want, you send it to me (I use "compare It").

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
If RTL_433 works in standalone mode, this is interesting information.

I would also be interested in finding the solution to this problem.

I propose you a small try, to remove rtl_433.dll from the plugin folder and compare the details of the error with and without rtl_433.dll. If you want, you send it to me (I use "compare It").
Thanks for your continued help with troubleshooting, Marc.

When I remove rtl_433.dll from the plugins folder and attempt again, the JIT debug log does not show any meaningful difference between the two (a couple of the same components reported below are in different orders, that's it). See attached for both JIT debug logs.

Attachments

• RTL_433 Plugin Error - A.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 3
  • RTL_433 Plugin Error - B.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 2
Hello, @Marco402,

When trying to run the RTL433 Plugin (v 1.5.6.1) for SDR# 1910, it displays a "DLL not found" error and crashes when the plugin is started.

I downloaded a fresh copy of SDR# from airspy.com (v 1910), downloaded the latest RTL433 Plugin for SDR# from GitHub - marco402/plugin-Rtl433-for-SdrSharp. Copied the three DLLs from the install\1.5.6.1 folder to C:\sdrsharp-x86 - 1910\Plugins\RTL433 folder. Plugins.xml is not modified (e.g., no "magic line" has been added). Plugin shows up in SDR#, but when enabled and started, it throws the following error:
View attachment 140507

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Dll was not found."

"See the end of this message for details on invoking

at SDRSharp.Rtl_433.NativeMethods.stop_sdr(IntPtr ctx)
at SDRSharp.Rtl_433.ClassInterfaceWithRtl433.call_main_Rtl_433()
at SDRSharp.Rtl_433.Rtl_433_Panel.Start(Boolean senderRadio)
at SDRSharp.Rtl_433.Rtl_433_Panel.buttonStartStop_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)"

[truncated - See attachment for full file]

I took a screen capture from install to crash:

Tried adding the three DLLs straight into the Plugins folder (not in a subfolder), tried even adding the magic line in the Plugins.xml file, but nothing I do seems to prevent it from crashing upon start.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 22H2 on an HP ProDesk400 Mini with an RTL-SDR v3.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hello,

to fix you must simply download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable x86/x64.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

to fix you must simply download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable x86/x64.
I just tried installing the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable for both x86/x64, rebooted my machine, and I'm getting the same error:

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
I propose you a test, transfer rtl_433.dll in the file or is sdrsharp .exe.
I just tested moving all three .dll files to the same folder as sdrsharp.exe and I get the same error:

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Download the 2015 Visual C++ Redistributable as well
Thank you! That did it! the RTL433 plugin now runs without crashing. However, I'm still trying to get it to recognize and decode a signal. The Verbose Messages window stays blank. I double-checked the gain, bandwidth, etc., and can't figure out why I'm not receiving any data. I'm able to use the original RTL_433 application via the command prompt without any problem, so I imagine there's just a setting I am missing in SDR# or in the RTL_433 plugin. Here is a screenshot of my settings:
rtl433_sdr-sharp_settings.png
Thanks again to all for your help!

Thank you! That did it! the RTL433 plugin now runs without crashing. However, I'm still trying to get it to recognize and decode a signal. The Verbose Messages window stays blank. I double-checked the gain, bandwidth, etc., and can't figure out why I'm not receiving any data. I'm able to use the original RTL_433 application via the command prompt without any problem, so I imagine there's just a setting I am missing in SDR# or in the RTL_433 plugin. Here is a screenshot of my settings:
View attachment 141593
Thanks again to all for your help!
Your welcome! Glad you got it! Try to max out the gain, then turn ON turner AGC. Also, Try the -v- option for verbose, can’t tell if it is selected in photo. I believe I read in this thread that the radio settings panel don’t matter for the plug-in. Could be wrong.

My next thing is to learn the rtl_433 application Commands, just got the program to work.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Your welcome! Glad you got it! Try to max out the gain, then turn ON turner AGC. Also, Try the -v- option for verbose, can’t tell if it is selected in photo. I believe I read in this thread that the radio settings panel don’t matter for the plug-in. Could be wrong.

My next thing is to learn the rtl_433 application Commands, just got the program to work.
Awesome! Finally got it to work by enabling both RTL AGC and Tuner AGC. 🤷‍♂️ But, after a few minutes, it crashed with the following error:

Screenshot 2023-05-11 125017.png
See the end of this message for details on invoking

System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.ThemedFormBehavior.PaintTitleBar(Graphics hDCGraphics)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.ThemedFormBehavior.OnNCPaint(Graphics graphics)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.ThemedFormBehavior.OnWMNCPaint(Message& m)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.ThemedFormBehavior.HandleWndProc(Message& m)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadFormBehavior.HandleWndProc(Message& m)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadFormControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I'm finding the native terminal app to actually do what I need it to do quite reliably (I just downloaded the most recent nightly build). If you do end up using the native terminal app, I found it useful to make use of a config file, which stores all of your parameters, so you just need to run the application and it will automatically read in everything from your config file. Attaching my rtl_433.conf file here (rename from rtl_433.conf.txt to rtl_433.conf)

Attachments

• rtl_433.conf.txt
    26 KB · Views: 8

Marco402

Hello bhall7
I have a small problem of mail issued by radioreference since April 29th???
You passed a step thanks to Iamnewtothishobby .
For System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.,
I tried with the same parameter as you, no problem,
Laffen had the same messages page 7 , it was the sample rate.
Without much conviction, now that it starts, maybe try again the 2 frameworks 4.6 and 4.8 ???
Marc

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Hello bhall7
I have a small problem of mail issued by radioreference since April 29th???
You passed a step thanks to Iamnewtothishobby .
For System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.,
I tried with the same parameter as you, no problem,
Laffen had the same messages page 7 , it was the sample rate.
Without much conviction, now that it starts, maybe try again the 2 frameworks 4.6 and 4.8 ???
Marc
I lowered the sample rate to 0.900001 Msps and it is not crashing anymore. Just trying to find a good level for RF gain, etc.

Marco402

Hello

New version of the plugin rtl_433 version 1.5.6.2.

No evolution at the plugin level, addition of the 25 new devices of rtl_433.

Version tested with SDRSharp 1919.

To download it: plugin-Rtl433-for-SdrSharp/install/1.5.6.2 at master · marco402/plugin-Rtl433-for-SdrSharp

Caution: Do not attempt to download DLLs by right-clicking on them, which opens the browser menu and saves the link as,
This action creates a text file with the name of the DLL.

-Left click on the name of the dll and download(Raw->download raw file) (repeat for the other 2 dlls)
Good use

Marc