RTTY & PSK Freq's ? New Digital Mode Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Using SDRConsole which has a built in Digital Decoder for RTTY and PSK modes (only)

First time I'm trying aything having to do with digital modes, after having given up
with getting fldigi (see my post on a few back today) not to quit after a few seconds, but thought i'd try SDRConsole's built in Decoder.

Live about 20 miles West outside of Boston.

Have tried a bunch of freeq's that I pulled off of the internet for both modes, but all i get
is gibberish.

So, might someone please suggest a HF frequency, or two, that I should "definitely" be able to pick up outside of Boston.
Either RTTY of PSK would be great. (C.G. transmitting weather on RTTY anymore ?)

*Would also need what to set baud rate, shift, speed, etc to ?

Real beginner with this; any other hints would be great.

Thank you,
Bob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is very little Baudot RTTY anymore, and PSK modes are generally ham in nature, although there are several encrypted stations that use PSK modulation....

Read this, if you didn't already - it will give you lots of hints for frequencies, and where known, times...

I'm unsure if the ARRL schedule is still going on due to the pandemic.....

You will need better decoding software for these. See the article for the names, and the SDRPlay has lots of videos on how to get some of these set up Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That, I think, is Der Deutsche Wetterdienst - the German Weather Service. It's one of the very few non-ham stations still running Baudot RTTY. The schedule is in the article I gave...Mike

[edit] I also have KPH's schedule there, but that's going to be a bit of a challenge - they're out in the West Coast....

ArloG

Sorcerer and Krypto500 are good decoders to have too.
Much confusion comes from the fact few FSK receptions now are unencrypted and what sounds like RTTY is actually a flavor of Stanag. Stanag 4481 being one (has a PSK mode also). There are a few of those that occasionally broadcast a test. Stanag 4285 sounds like an airplane of sorts. You can occasionally find an unencrypted test message on that format.
Gone are the days of listening to AP and UPI news and decoding them on a surplus Teletype. I wish it weren't so. That was fun!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Don't even think of using Krypto if you're a newcomer - you'll blow your mind, and have a heart attack from the price (heh)...but you're absolutely right about the STANAG (and yes, it has a PSK cousin, too, as you noted)

Heck I used to decode the VoA ISB transmissions with my M7000 decoder. Yeah, those were the days. Long gone now, I'm afraid.

You want to see what's up in the digital world, you need to belong to the UDXF reflector on groups.io. Tons of digital stuff reported there every month. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.