• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rubber Ducky Reommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB_charlie

I know how poor short antenna for CB (27MHz) handhelds will be, but I am looking for recommendation for a BNC item that perhaps works better than the provided OEM item for a Midland 75-822. This radio does fairly good when connected to my tuned roof mount magnet antenna, but very poorly using the small flex stick. But obviously I don't want a 10ft BNC antenna, but something around ~24in is still workable. I only use the radio on occasion while traveling in varoius vehicles and do not want to hassle with the magnet mount and extra wires, etc.

Even if its a direct replacement (short antenna), does Diamond or Nagoya (or other) make one that's better than the OEM supplied item?

Duckford

Cobra makes an old fashioned collapsable antenna for their CB handhelds with a BNC, states that it has 2 db of gain over the regular rubber ducky. I have one on my Cobra WX50 and it does seem to have more power, and when I get some time off this summer I'm going to do a formal range test to prove wither it is better or not.

It is the Cobra HA-TA Telescoping Antenna. Looks like the price has skyrocketed since I bought mine. Maybe that ABREE might be the better choice if it isn't complete trash like some suggest....

I might buy an ABREE and give it a try. If it does work it would have better potential gain, and at least you learned something if it fails.

CB_charlie

I suspect the VSWR is horrible on the BNC. I need to use my VSWR meter and check, but I need to get connector adapters and a short patch cable to do it. Surely my trimmed/tuned roof mount works way better because 1) VSWR is tuned, and 2) #1 has a decent ground plane.

I wish they made a BNC that had four 0.25-0.50" long flip down ground legs to help give the "no-gnd-plane" BNC stick a little gnd plane to work with.

Thanks for the suggestions.

WB9YBM

I know how poor short antenna for CB (27MHz) handhelds will be, but I am looking for recommendation for a BNC item that perhaps works better than the provided OEM item for a Midland 75-822.

Years ago as a special order I was able to obtain a collapsible CB antenna with a BNC from Radio Shack. It looks like their collapsible scanner antenna except upgraded to handle power from a transmitter. It definitely gave noticeable improvement over the rubber duck that originally came with my H.T.s

WB9YBM

There's no such things as a good performing rubber-ducky antenna for C.B. frequencies.

The same thing can be said about rubber duckies for other bands, too. As far as I'm concerned the only thing rubber duckies are good for is to demonstrate to the user that their radio functions (albeit at reduced range) and for the user to not get their armpit skewered when the radio's clipped to their belt.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The same thing can be said about rubber duckies for other bands, too. As far as I'm concerned the only thing rubber duckies are good for is to demonstrate to the user that their radio functions (albeit at reduced range) and for the user to not get their armpit skewered when the radio's clipped to their belt.

I think scanners manufactures would do well to eliminate the rubber ducky and reduce the price of the scanner. Then let the consumer purchase the antenna of their choice.

WB9YBM

I think scanners manufactures would do well to eliminate the rubber ducky and reduce the price of the scanner. Then let the consumer purchase the antenna of their choice.

Good idea, although seen from the consumers' perspective they probably don't want to have to pay extra for the initial set-up--especially considering prices of scanners, most people probably want to have everything ready-to-go once they make their purchase.

Maybe a good middle ground would be for the sellers to provide two options: the basic package that includes a rubber duck, and an upgrade with the next better antenna. Just thinking out loud, though...

FiveFilter

There are so many things working against a CB radio using a rubber ducky antenna inside a metal car body that it's virtually a hopeless undertaking.

But, if you run a coax from the radio to a good mag mount antenna on the roof, you can realize as good a performance as anyone could expect in regards to RF signals in the 11 meter CB band.

WB9YBM

There are so many things working against a CB radio using a rubber ducky antenna inside a metal car body that it's virtually a hopeless undertaking.

That's pretty much the case no matter what frequencies you're operating on--not just CB.

FPR1981

a few extra radio shack telescoping antennas with the coil, as featured on the TRC-216. Killer antennas for handheld application. They could be adapted for BNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.