Ruckersville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokies3030

Premium Subscriber
Very excited....... just purchased a BCD 396XT from classifieds on RadioReference. Any suggestions on programming? Will have digital hope to get VSP, GW, CSPD, and surrounding counties. Still trying to get motoTRBO for GCSD. Any help would be great. Seller states that unit has ARC-XT-Pro included, I've only used RadioReference for my PRO-107.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hi Hokies,

Since you're a premium member, you shouldn't have any trouble downloading the database to the scanner. I programmed STARS into a uniden once but don't know what the best way to set it up is. You'll be able to get suggestions from others here. You will receive VSP and other STARS agencies without trouble- except for DGIF. The GW's are encrypted now. I think the Dispatch side is typically left open, but the Conservation Officers are full time encryption unless (as explained to me) an officer forgets to switch it on.

I am not sure what agency CSPD is. From your area, I assume that you'll also be able to receive Charlottesville/ Alb. relatively well, also.

Good luck and ask any questions you need!

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Hi Hokies,

Since you're a premium member, you shouldn't have any trouble downloading the database to the scanner. I programmed STARS into a uniden once but don't know what the best way to set it up is. You'll be able to get suggestions from others here. You will receive VSP and other STARS agencies without trouble- except for DGIF. The GW's are encrypted now. I think the Dispatch side is typically left open, but the Conservation Officers are full time encryption unless (as explained to me) an officer forgets to switch it on.

I am not sure what agency CSPD is. From your area, I assume that you'll also be able to receive Charlottesville/ Alb. relatively well, also.

Good luck and ask any questions you need!

I didn't know the conservation officers had went encrypted. Interesting. I only hear them patched into Salem 2 out here and they so far aren't. But now that you mention it I almost never pick up any traffic from them for the last couple of months so maybe that's why. They certainly don't seem to do much talking on that patch. So must be off somewhere else encrypted which explains not picking them up on 436.

DGIF is as you say though.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I'm in their Region 4. I spoke with a conservation officer I know a couple of weeks ago and he said they were authorized to encrypt full time. I have GRE/ RS scanners- which do not mute the encrypted TG, so I usually keep them locked out. I think he was saying DGIF was now encrypted statewide, but that may not be the case. Maybe each region has their own policy.

I had forgotten about it, but I think I now remember you saying before that they are patched to Salem 2 in your region.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
There are not a lot of radio dispatches for Marine Resources. You mostly hear them checking on and off duty, sometimes putting a boat in the water. I recently read that there are less than 60 officers statewide, and if you're monitoring STARS as a whole, their transmissions are likely to be covered up by the far more frequent transmissions of state troopers, game wardens and prison transports.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I'm in their Region 4. I spoke with a conservation officer I know a couple of weeks ago and he said they were authorized to encrypt full time. I have GRE/ RS scanners- which do not mute the encrypted TG, so I usually keep them locked out. I think he was saying DGIF was now encrypted statewide, but that may not be the case. Maybe each region has their own policy.

I had forgotten about it, but I think I now remember you saying before that they are patched to Salem 2 in your region.

Yes, They are still patched on site 222 and intermittent patches on sites 221 and 223. Have been running monitoring software on all three sites for last day and a half and watching what comes up.

I pick up mostly DGIF 4 and DGIF 2 with some DGIF 3. Rarely, I have gotten DGIF 1. Most mobile/portables are encrypted but some are in clear still. All dispatch seems to be in clear on those at least.

The Conservation officers I don't know. Showing some log ins and data but virtually zero voice traffic on their TGs. Not encrypted or clear just not there. Both GW and Douthat analog are active but not seemingly with LE. Picking up nothing else from other channels so I have no idea where they got off too but its not STARS and its not any analog I've been able to find so far. Considering I'm just a few miles down the same road from them I shouldn't have any problems getting them yet...I'm not.

Puzzling to say the least. Includes freq searches too. Nada.

I can't speak for other areas but nothing is coming through voice on those three sites basically and I can pick up at least some other areas besides 6 when they were using STARS.

I wonder if anyone else is getting anything from them either voice or via monitoring of sites w/software.

They have to be somewhere. LOL

Hokies3030

Premium Subscriber
Got scanner programmed, I think, am getting activity on Charlottesville/Albemarle fire but nothing on either police TG. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Also getting surrounding counties and VSP. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.