• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rugged Radios finally gets an FCC Smack-Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Anytime I see "Rugged Radios" at an event, I cringe... A youtuber that I follow was singing their praises for giving him some complete systems for his drag week cars complete with intercom systems... as far as I could see they weren't transmitting, but it looks like everything they sell is cheap aliexpress junk from the same suppliers as all of the other "cheap radio" dealers.

There's a reason that companies like Racing Electronics charge so much more... Because you're getting a real radio with actual, NR ratings on your headsets and accessories meant for the application... Not the cheapest parts that could be sourced.

bill4long

Baofeng and such sure. I meant more along the line of a state of the art Apx8000 or equivalent. In that regard its just market manipulation because it obviously fast exceeds specifications.

You could use them on MURS or FRS or GMRS frequencies. Who's gonna know or care? I probably wouldn't use them on those bands for the long haul at a fixed location, such as managing a restaurant or a warehouse, but for itinerant use, say, for car-to-car during convoys, or out camping, or riding motorbikes out in the desert? If you don't tell, I won't.

Last edited:

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
You could use them on MURS or FRS or GMRS frequencies. Who's gonna know or care? I probably wouldn't use them at a fixed location, such as managing a restaurant or a warehouse on those bands, for the long haul, but for itinerant use, say, for car-to-car during convoys, or out camping, or riding motorbikes out in the desert? If you don't tell, I won't.

That’s my attitude at it. I don’t use GMRS enough to warrant buying type accepted radios so I use some CCRs but I make sure they are programmed within the spec and also at the lowest power.

bill4long

At very least the FCC should get off their lazy duffs and "allow" analog Part 90 radios on GMRS. People are doing it anyway, and worse. Like the plague. Eventually the Will of the People makes the decision in obvious cases like this. They already have. The cow is out of the barn and she ain't going back.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Now I'm curious as to witch Rugged itinerants line up with mine....

I run my side business on a few UHF itinerants and have only ever encountered co-channel users in the middle of Albuquerque, including what I believe was a GPS survey base. Fortunately that rebranded Baofeng trash hasn't gotten much traction in this region.

(We're also licensed for 35.04 and 43.04 - I'd be shocked if I ever hear co-channel users on those outside of summer E-skip! TK-190s with MBITR antennas are a good deep woods solution so I keep those freqs.)

As far as VHF CB, I'd like to see more done with MURS. One thing I've pondered is giving GMRS licensees use of the MURS frequencies with higher PEP limits, say 35 or 50W. Unfortunately the cat is out of the bag with the Chinese radios with phony type acceptance; it seems reasonable to try to contain this stuff to FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies where it can't do as much harm.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I run my side business on a few UHF itinerants and have only ever encountered co-channel users in the middle of Albuquerque, including what I believe was a GPS survey base. Fortunately that rebranded Baofeng trash hasn't gotten much traction in this region.

My main reason for even being curious is due to my use of itinerants on the trails between vehicles and people. Over the last few days I've entirely remapped my personal bandplan and I've been watching a lot of clubs/groups passing my barn on the way into the mountains as I've been spending some time at my Colorado property (as well as loading the kids into the Jeep and taking them into the mountains).

bill4long

One thing I've pondered is giving GMRS licensees use of the MURS frequencies with higher PEP limits, say 35 or 50W.

There are a lots of MURS users and I think that would be cause a lot of problems with current MURS users using 2w radios. As it is, MURS is a nice service that does not suffer from the bubble-pack interference syndrome. I'd hate to see it messed up. And so would a lot of users, I believe.

I think what is really needed, and would be appreciated by several types of users, is a new license-free set of frequencies that allow use of Part 90 radios, simplex-only, analog and digital, with 50w limit.

Last edited:

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
There are a lots of MURS users and I think that would be cause a lot of problems with current MURS users using 2w radios. As it is, MURS is a nice service that does not suffer from the bubble-pack interference syndrome. I'd hate to see it messed up. And so would a lot of users, I believe.

I think what is really needed, and would be appreciated by several types of users, is a new license-free set of frequencies that allow use of Part 90 radios, simplex-only, analog and digital, with 50w limit.

Wal-Mart uses MURS near me, but I've never heard any other users. It's just not common in this region.

Yes, a license-free service would be nice but I don't think the spectrum is there without reallocating from other services. The existing itinerant and dot/star frequencies could be the best candidates, similar to how MURS came about.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The existing itinerant and dot/star frequencies could be the best candidates, similar to how MURS came about.

Yeah, the FCC lost control of the Itinerants back in the 90's when Home Depot started selling Motorola 'business' radios off the shelf. Like others, users were supposed to do 'self licensing', but most never did. When FRS came out en-mass, the market sort of went away. But at work, I can still scan the UHF itinerants and hear a -lot- of traffic.
And then there were radio shops that would sell radios to end users and just dump itinerants in the radios and let them go. Some shops even charged for licensing, but never bothered to actually do it.

While not good for hand held use, I wish someone would take the time to petition the FCC to allow FM on CB, like they allow in other countries. Cleaner audio, and would let CTCSS/DCS take care of most of the noise. Wouldn't take much, most of the big CB manufacturers already have the products, just need to get them type accepted for US market.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
And then there were radio shops that would sell radios to end users and just dump itinerants in the radios and let them go. Some shops even charged for licensing, but never bothered to actually do it.

There is a shop by me that was notorious for setting up customers with rental radios on FRS.

One of their former customers had a conventional VHF DMR repeater for hospital security. The shop had a link radio set up at the shop, cross banding the VHF system to FRS so the hospital greeters could communicate with security.

12dbsinad

There is a shop by me that was notorious for setting up customers with rental radios on FRS.

One of their former customers had a conventional VHF DMR repeater for hospital security. The shop had a link radio set up at the shop, cross banding the VHF system to FRS so the hospital greeters could communicate with security.
Besides the fact how insanely stupid this is, why would they set it up at their shop and not at the hospital itself?

12dbsinad

Stupidity aside, I almost have to admire the audacity of the thing. Choosing VHF for in-building use is a head-scratcher though.
"Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber......... you go and do something like this............ and totally redeem yourself!"

That's a direct quote from Dumb n Dumber movie, I can only imagine them playing out this scene at that radio shop.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Meanwhile, back at Rugged Radios.

Did they respond to the FCC "smack down"? Did they change what they are selling? Their "V3" radio could be a Baofeng in a blue case? Does it have FCC certification?

radiowizard

Premium Subscriber
Any body know who makes the rdh16 radio that rugged radios sells? they have 2 handhelds listed besides the 1 motorola, ones a

Baofeng look alike and thens there this rdh one its just a 16 channel analog and dmr thanks rugged-radios-rdh16.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.