• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rugged Radios RM-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across this gem today. CB/VHF/UHF in one radio rated at 50 Watts. Just wondering how long before the FCC shuts them down.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
So how is this any different then the many knockoffs of the Yaesu FT8900?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2152
"The RM50-MB Multi-Band Radio merges VHF, UHF, CB, HAM, AM, and FM all into one unit for the ultimate, versatile communication system!"

Rugged Radios has a long standing history of thumbing their noses at the FCC rules.
Interesting that the RM-50R 50-Watt Remote Head Dual Band Radio they are selling at $399 is absolutely identical to the TYT-7800 that is selling for ~$196...

I own two of the TH-7800 radios. They are very well built and perform quite well. However, I sure wouldn't have paid $399 for one of 'em! :roll:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
How come the tyt shows only vhf/uhf. Is there a modification to open up the other transmit.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the CB is AM or FM?

Plus the ham band isn't 47-54 Mhz.. It's 50-54 Mhz in ITU Region 2. It's probably all FM as well.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
"The RM50-MB Multi-Band Radio merges VHF, UHF, CB, HAM, AM, and FM all into one unit for the ultimate, versatile communication system!"

Rugged Radios has a long standing history of thumbing their noses at the FCC rules.

Unfortunately I have to drive by these whack jobs every day on the way to work.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're the ones setting up radios to use a local ham repeater for all the drunk idiots out on the dunes...

They sure make a lot of money selling Rebadged Chinese Radios...

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
How come the tyt shows only vhf/uhf. Is there a modification to open up the other transmit.
No. I was comparing the RM-50R and the TYT-7800, both of which are VHF/UHF, dual-band, dual-receive* only.

The RM-50 (no "R") is the one that supposedly has all the other bands.

*Note: dual-receive means there are two separate receivers that share a common pool of memory, as opposed to dual-watch which has only one receiver and rapidly scans two frequencies.

The former can receive traffic on both frequencies simultaneously, the latter can only hear one of the two frequencies at a time.

KE6JHK

I purchased a Rugged Radios RM-50. My password fails to log me in, so I cannot get access to the frequency list or to the software for programming the RM-50. Repeated attempts to obtain a new password on their website gets zero response from Rugged. A phone call elicited a password of "radios", which did not work. Man, these guys are asleep at the switch !!

KE6JHK

Yeah, I've got around $700 bucks invested in a RM-50 radio and headset, but cannot gain access to Rugged Radios frequency list or to their computer software program. Damn!, they sell stuff but their website manager is a dolt.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Man, these guys are asleep at the switch !!

We ride UTV's a lot for recreation. We usually try to ride places where there isn't a lot of people, but occasionally we screw up. This last trip we made put us on a busy weekend and there were a lot of UTV's up from So Cal.
We ran into one guy and his wife that had recently purchases a decked out Polaris Rzr 900 that had just about every accessory you could think of, including the full rugged radio package with headsets, etc.
The guy was new to the area and didn't know his way around. I gave him a spare map I had and we spotted him a few gallons of gas to get to a service station that was about 10 miles away. Pretty much totally unprepared for where he was.

Anyway, we all ride with VHF radios and all have our amateur licenses, so we stick with a simplex 2 meter frequency for our chatter.

This guy had no clue how to use the radio, so we attempted to help him out. Looking at the stuff that was programmed into it, all of it was "company" channels belonging to manufacturers. Only non-company channel was 151.625 "weatherman" channel that gets used in Baja. Of course this guy had no license for anything, no clue how to get one, only that he was told it was "OK to use them".

I've talked to others before who have them. You can get them to program in pretty much anything you want, including marine VHF channels, FRS, MURS, etc. And some of these guys are running 100 watt radios. 100 watts on FRS, perfect.

I've never purchased anything from them, but I've got a fair amount of disdain for any company that willingly and knowing thumbs their noses at the laws like that. I've looked on their website and not found any mention of licensing. But I understand, it's up to the end user. I just wish these companies would take a bit of responsibility. I guess they are concerned it might cut into sales.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I purchased a Rugged Radios RM-50. My password fails to log me in, so I cannot get access to the frequency list or to the software for programming the RM-50. Repeated attempts to obtain a new password on their website gets zero response from Rugged. A phone call elicited a password of "radios", which did not work. Man, these guys are asleep at the switch !!

Actually, I was out your neck of the woods. I was up in Mono County, between Mono Lake and Mammoth Lakes, both sides of US395. We've been going up there for years, some great riding up that way.

Mntsnow

Yeah, I've got around $700 bucks invested in a RM-50 radio and headset, but cannot gain access to Rugged Radios frequency list or to their computer software program. Damn!, they sell stuff but their website manager is a dolt.
I have the same radio and I can give you the frequency list that they programmed and I can tell you where you can get the software that will work with the radio so you can program it with all of the frequencies/repeaters you want to use with it. message me on here or email me at my user name at G mail dot com (pay attention the spelling of my username as it is the uncommon way to do Mountain Snow)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.