Run Away From the Uniden BCT125AT Fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman382

Premium Subscriber
Uniden Bearcat BCT125AT
Bought brand new June 2017 from Amazon.

Current version on Bearcat 125AT bought June 2017 is 1.04.02.
Uniden's website still lists older 1.03.01 firmware update. Seriously Uniden!

What a huge disappointment.
Compared to my other receivers this thing is pretty deaf.
Doing quick sensitivity check between new Uniden BCT125AT bought June 2017, older Uniden BCT15, and cheap ( like $30) Baofeng UV-82 tranceiver, my new Uniden BCT125AT is deaf. And I mean the sensitivity sucks on the BCT125AT.

Could not hear same signals as the other two receivers were picking up. And yes....antennas were the same. Seriously, my cheap Baofeng picked it up, loud and clear!!!

PS. Returning the Bearcat 125 ASAP!!!!

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I've had no issues with my 125AT. Initially, I used it for public safety scanning before upgrading to a 396XT. Found both radios to be on par with each other as far as sensitivity. I know only use the 125 for aviation scanning and am still well pleased with the performance.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Four posts, three of them complaining about Uniden. :roll:

marksmith

No problems here either, but don't use it much. When I do its usually for the air and military air bands, and it does better than most other Uniden radios in those particular bands.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Blackink

My BCT125AT works just fine with the stock antenna.
When I run that next to my BCT15X base scanner connected to an ST-2 antenna, then yes, the BCT15X scanner picks up frequencies much better that are further away, but that is expected.

Other than that difference, the BCT125AT works just fine.

6 posts: 1 complaining about Uniden scanners (the OP), 4 posts supporting the BCT125AT Uniden scanner, and 1 post just complaining with the statistics completely wrong (in this thread anyway).

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'll clarify. Four posts by the OP since he joined. Three complaining about Uniden.

My BCT125AT works just fine with the stock antenna.
When I run that next to my BCT15X base scanner connected to an ST-2 antenna, then yes, the BCT15X scanner picks up frequencies much better that are further away, but that is expected.

Other than that difference, the BCT125AT works just fine.

6 posts: 1 complaining about Uniden scanners (the OP), 4 posts supporting the BCT125AT Uniden scanner, and 1 post just complaining with the statistics completely wrong (in this thread anyway).

DHAS12

I used my bc125at everyday for 4 years and it took a beating. I recently upgraded, but still use it for rail, and air listening. Imo, the sensitivty is great on the 125at. Still one of my favorite analog scanners.

battleflag

My BC125AT arrives today via Amazon for only $81. I have a few other older vhf/uhf analog handhelds and some base stations to compare it to. I also plan to buy the Diamond 77 antenna for it so it should be an interesting comparison. This is my return to Uniden Bearcat after probably 30 years. My last Bearcat scanner was the BC100XLT and the BC140.

I'll come back to this thread and let you know if I decide to run away.

ot0tot

Premium Subscriber
Uniden Bearcat BCT125AT

Doing quick sensitivity check between new Uniden BCT125AT bought June 2017, older Uniden BCT15, and cheap ( like $30) Baofeng UV-82 tranceiver, my new Uniden BCT125AT is deaf. And I mean the sensitivity sucks on the BCT125AT.

Could not hear same signals as the other two receivers were picking up. And yes....antennas were the same. Seriously, my cheap Baofeng picked it up, loud and clear!!!

PS. Returning the Bearcat 125 ASAP!!!!

My BC125AT is the most sensitive analog scanner I have, very impressed with the performance.

The only difference between the 1.03.01 and 1.04.02 firmware is that Uniden had to decrease the maximum charge time setting to be in compliance with some ridiculous California law regarding electricity usage.
See here: http://forums.radioreference.com/un...t-firmware-update-released-6.html#post1989605

Valeriy

Uniden Bearcat BCT125AT

Well, besides a BCD436HP, I have an UBC125XLT too (the European version of the BC125AT), and
it's quite sensitive.
IMHO, In Low VHF and in UHF it is more sensitive than the 436.
On the other hand, the 436 outperforms the 125 it in High VHF.
I found also that the 125 works well as a "TE.TRA. detector", so to speak (maybe people outside Europe cannot verify that).
My 436 never captures frequencies in the range of 390.xxxx, allocated to the Italian Police forces, neither in the range of 462.xxxx,
allocated to Local Police and other local municipality services.
The humble 125 always detects them, instead. :) :) :)
So, I still use it on a daily basis, as a complement of the 436.
Maybe you got a defective unit...

PriorMike

My 125AT works just fine. I'm loaded with conventional analog where I am, plus the province wide trunk system uses conventional repeaters so I can hear almost as much as what my 325P2 can pick up.

The alpha tags are a great feature on it.

battleflag

I received my BC125AT yesterday. I paid $81 for the unit through Amazon. Unlike the OP's opinion on this scanner, I have found the 125AT to be as sensitive or more compared to my other other scanners and the feature set to be far superior. Although I have had to look a few things up in the manual, I was able to quickly and easily start programming frequencies into the scanner without much effort. So far so good and I would say my experience so far does not match what the OP describes.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I also have a BCT125AT that I've had for a few years, works okay for most things; however, what I find most interesting about this post is the fact that Uniden is shipping new units with firmware "1.04.02" whereas the latest available upgrade release is still "1.03.01" and there have been no additional releases. So, the question to Uniden is... What has changed and why isn't this firmware update available for previous owners?

WQPW689

I also have a BCT125AT that I've had for a few years, works okay for most things; however, what I find most interesting about this post is the fact that Uniden is shipping new units with firmware "1.04.02" whereas the latest available upgrade release is still "1.03.01" and there have been no additional releases. So, the question to Uniden is... What has changed and why isn't this firmware update available for previous owners?

Issue was addressed in post #12 of this very thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.