Running 4 instances of Pro96Com on one box, works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
A week or two ago I asked around about running multiple instances of Pro96Com on a single box. I had picked up a half dozen of the RS orange USB cables as they were on closeout and had several compatible radios to use.

I had been running several older Windows machines around to watch the local P25 sites, 2 in the office, one in the basement and another at work. Using LogMeIn I was able to view the computers and analyze the data but it was a bit cumbersome.

Several people had great suggestions and using them I set out about my task. Using a program suggested to me called MPROG (find it and instructions at P/N 30-3290 How to connect more than one GRE USB cable to a PC - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite). I altered the Hardware Serial ID of the cables so that each was unique. I tagged each cable with a derivative of the ID I used, since the original one was 0412 I made them 0413, 0414 etc.

I set the cables up on my big, fast Windows 7 Pro-64 box (9GB RAM, I7 Quad Core, etc...) into a USB hub near the shelf with the radios.

I set the Com Port numbers to match the Device ID Serial numbers and tags (Com13, Com14 etc.).

I then made 4 copies of the PRO96Com folder and named them to match the tags I used for the USB cables.

I set up my decoding radios (2 PRO2096's, a PSR600 and a PRO197, the 600 and 197 will be replaced with 2 more 2096's this weekend) on various systems. I have them all sharing a single 800 MHz. antenna using a Stridsberg 800 MHz. amplified multicoupler.

I set each copy of the application to match the Com Port number of the cable attached and off we went. Everything worked without a hitch. I might go for broke and try setting up a couple more for grins and giggles, I have a few more cables and radios.

Thanks to Mike V. for his continued work on the most excellent Pro96Com and to the members here and on the Pro96Com Yahoo List the job was pretty simple and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.