Running cables into the shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Ok so in the next few months we are going to be doing some renovations which includes actually making a functional rec room where I currently house the radios and cables coming in.

So while I'm at it. How do I make this better? I don't really like this setup although it works for now. Not so much I don't think when the room is done.

How can I make a cleaner way of having multiple types of cables coming in?

I will have atleast a scanner antenna cable possibly will have 2 1 for scanner 1 for sdr, cable for the cb's ( I have 2 radios 1 antenna), TV antenna, and an end fed wire for HF listening on SDR.

What are some good suggestion of what I can use or make happen when we redo this room. I plan on keeping my radios, computer etc in the same area as the pics are showing.

Attachments

• 20220416_094230.jpg
    20220416_094230.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 20220416_094139.jpg
    20220416_094139.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 251

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are having any electrical work done, talk to the electrician. They can run some electrical PVC pipe for you to the exterior that will make life easy. Could be as simple as a 2" pipe with a weatherhead/box on the outside.

Other option is to use a pre-made entry panel. They are more expensive, but they seal up well and are designed specifically for this:

If it was me, A 2" PVC conduit with a weather head on the outside would be my choice. Seal up everything with sealant and put some stainless steel wool in the pipe to keep critters from finding their way in.

And don't neglect grounding. If you have an electrician doing any work, now is the time to do it correctly. An electrician can put in a ground rod and bond it to the home ground rod for you. Cheap/easy insurance.

CcSkyEye

If it was me, A 2" PVC conduit with a weather head on the outside would be my choice. Seal up everything with sealant and put some stainless steel wool in the pipe to keep critters from finding their way in.

And don't neglect grounding.

This is what I did, has worked well for me going on 4 years.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Isn't there something like a weatherproof box or something that you can put on the side of the house to feed cables into. Can't remember the website I had seen them on before.

Yeah, NEMA rated boxes. But you still have to get the cable in/out of them. There's a lot of ways to do that, but it depends on your skill and budget. Cable glands are a good solution. Pop a hole in the box, run the cable through, terminate it, good to go.

W5lz

Ok so in the next few months we are going to be doing some renovations which includes actually making a functional rec room where I currently house the radios and cables coming in.

So while I'm at it. How do I make this better? I don't really like this setup although it works for now. Not so much I don't think when the room is done.

How can I make a cleaner way of having multiple types of cables coming in?

I will have atleast a scanner antenna cable possibly will have 2 1 for scanner 1 for sdr, cable for the cb's ( I have 2 radios 1 antenna), TV antenna, and an end fed wire for HF listening on SDR.

What are some good suggestion of what I can use or make happen when we redo this room. I plan on keeping my radios, computer etc in the same area as the pics are showing.
Was going to say use a window feed-through, but it looks like you already do. Another way is to make a hole in the wall, box it in (weather sealed, etc.), and make it larger than you ever figure you'll need. Nothing 'new' in this...

Status
Not open for further replies.