Running Computer Control w/RH-96 connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

blake23

I am trying to connect my computer to my BCD996T that has a RH-96 connected at the same time. I have a Toshiba Satellite L550 with 3 USB ports, a 15DB Female connection in back and a 25DB Female as well. I tried a USB to Serial port cable from the computer to the back of the scanner but ARC996 wasn't able to "AutoDetect" the scanner. Is there anything I can do to make this happen. I obviously can't use the front port on the scanner with the RH-96 connected there. Looking to use the rear port on the back of the scanner for computer control while mobile.

Thanks

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
You'll need a null modem adapter to use the rear port in that manner. You should be able to find small inline ones on eBay for short $$. I do this with 2 996XT's and 1 996T, works dandy.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what Scott said. I control two Uniden scanners using null modems and it works great.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Your using two USB connections at the same time?

Control Panel | System | Hardware | | Device Manager. Look for your adapters and make sure each has its own COM port.

Null modem is what you would use for a serial to serial connection. Or in this case a USB to serial connection...

blake23

Scott was bang on....I connected a USB to Serial to the computer and ran a Null Modem from that to the scanner. Works perfect.

Thanks for all the help.

rmosier

Could this procedure also be used to connect my BCD396XT's mini USB port to a PC and GPS at the same time? I built and mini ITX PC with touch screen for my Jeep Wrangler. I use Proscan to control the scanner via USB, but I would also like to connect GPS to the scanner. Problem is, they use the same port on the scanner. Thanks for any suggestions/Help.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Could this procedure also be used to connect my BCD396XT's mini USB port to a PC and GPS at the same time? I built and mini ITX PC with touch screen for my Jeep Wrangler. I use Proscan to control the scanner via USB, but I would also like to connect GPS to the scanner. Problem is, they use the same port on the scanner. Thanks for any suggestions/Help.

Connect the GPS to the rear scanner port.

If you don't have a RS-232 port on the computer then you will need a RS-232 to USB adapter. Take the cable supplied with the scanner and plug it in the front port. Install the RS-232 to USB adapter per the installation instructions. Take the other end of the scanner cable and connect it to the RS-232 to USB adapter.

Go into the scanner menu and configure the front port and then set the ProScan port and baudrate to match.

rmosier

ProScan,

Thank you for the response. Are you describing the 996? I have the 396xt (hand held). It has only one port. I think I'm forced to use either GPS or Computer control, but not both. But one can hope, and ask questions.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan,

Thank you for the response. Are you describing the 996? I have the 396xt (hand held). It has only one port. I think I'm forced to use either GPS or Computer control, but not both. But one can hope, and ask questions.

My bad. I didn't read the 396XT part. In that case, you can only use one or the other at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.