Running new scanner 24hrs a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amplifys

Hi all.
I just got a new Uniden BCD536HP and have it setup in my dining room scanning 24hrs a day for the most part. Should I be worried that this much use could be bad for the scanner in any way? I did run an older scanner for years with no problems but this thing was not cheap and I dont want to damage it.

Nasby

I've had mine on 24/7 for the past 8 months.
You should be good to go. They are designed for this.

teufler

During bad wx, you might activate your wx alert, it will wake up the dead. There is no volume control on the wx alert. You will not be listening to scanner at night, so clipping of audio will not be of a concern. If the alert function is on will you are listing, the audio clips as the scanner checks the alert frequency.

gus426

Premium Subscriber
Scanner 24 Hours a day

Good Morning, I've had this scanner on the left (BC245XLT) running 24 hours a day for at least 3 years....Before that I'm sure it was used at least 16 hours a day...I've had this scanner since 1999 I bought it brand new. I'm going to keep it on till it quits!

Attachments

• 20161027_093053.jpg
    20161027_093053.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 726

kf5bti

I've had a couple of Radio Shack Pro 163 scanners running for ~10 years with no problems. I do turn turn the display brightness down to prolong bulb/led life but have yet to have one go out.

drake2b

Afternoon
Been running my 536 for 2 1/2 years 24 hrs a day and no trouble!
Have never had to replace or reformat my SD card. Original one
still going strong!!

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
24x7

Running both my 536's, a 15x, a 996xt and 996p2 24, hours a day for at least 2 1/2 years and never once had an issue with any of them. Even during thunderstorms, I remove the outside antenna coax and put on the indoor antennas so I can keep the radios on.

kf5bti

Running both my 536's, a 15x, a 996xt and 996p2 24, hours a day for at least 2 1/2 years and never once had an issue with any of them. Even during thunderstorms, I remove the outside antenna coax and put on the indoor antennas so I can keep the radios on.

Make sure you terminate or short the ends of the outdoor antenna cable. I have watched static electricity arc from the center pin to the shield on a BBC connector during a storm.

rbm

Hi all.
I just got a new Uniden BCD536HP and have it setup in my dining room scanning 24hrs a day for the most part. Should I be worried that this much use could be bad for the scanner in any way? I did run an older scanner for years with no problems but this thing was not cheap and I dont want to damage it.

I currently run more than 40 Uniden scanners ( and 11 computers ) 24 x 7.
Been doing that for years.

They're only off during a power outage until I can hook up the generator or solar panels.

Before that, I ran an equal number of Radio Shack PRO-2006 scanners the same way for years.

With no problems.

Rich

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else ran a 436 24/7 as well? I think the only time mine is really off is while I'm at school or my job that won't let me scan, but it still goes with me.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My Pro-2004 is soon to hit it's 30th birthday, with the only down time being a couple of weeks when it got fixed after I killed it when modding it. My cats listen to it now, but in 1999, my dog listened to it during his last days:

jo6LqL.jpg

cmdrwill

Hi Five for your dog, RIP.

My dog, Radar, can reconise people on the radio that he knows.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
The scanners and radios on our assignment desk have been on for the better part of a decade. No issues whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.