Running Two Scanners off of a ST-2 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

highdesert661

Hello. I have searched the forum and found information about using a splitter to run two scanners off of one antenna and from what I understand, doing this causes a db loss.

I have an AntennaCraft ST2 on the roof. What I am wondering is if I can run two coax cables from the antenna? I was planning on attaching a second 300 to 75 Ohm Transformer with coax running to the second scanner. Doing this, there would be two transformers and two coax cables hooked up to a single antenna. Would doing this cause any loss in the reception?

If that will not work, I will need to install a second antenna. Is there any "rule of thumb" about how close two scanner antennas can be located to each other?

Thank you for any suggestions and input.

WA1ATA

Running two coax cables doesn't gain you anything.

The loss in a passive splitter will be a bit more than 3dB. The effect on reception is about equivalent to moving 50% further away from the transmitting station, or reducing the power of the transmitter by a bit more than half.

That might be acceptable, if none of the channels you want to listen to are right at the edge of useable signal strength. It kind of depends on whether you are using your scanner to monitor specific signals that are relatively local and strong, or if you are into seeing how far away you can receive.

The standard TV splitters are cheap. My recommendation is to go try it before mounting a second antenna.

W2NJS

...and where does 300 ohm cable come into the picture? Your system should be all 75 or 50 ohm coaxial cable, and the splitters, if used, should have either SO239 50 ohm or F type 75 ohm connectors on them for both input and output.

...and where does 300 ohm cable come into the picture? Your system should be all 75 or 50 ohm coaxial cable, and the splitters, if used, should have either SO239 50 ohm or F type 75 ohm connectors on them for both input and output.

The 300ohm he's referring to is the 300ohm to 750hm adapter that connects directly to the antenna. It's not a 300ohm cable.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
I tried the easy way out with a splitter and lost about +50 % of my signal. I went to SCANNER MASTER & purchased a SP-1300 Combiner/splitter for $49.95. I did not see any loss in signal. If you can afford it, it is as good a solution as putting up another antenna on the roof.

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
here's what I use for my ST-2. It is feeding 3 other scanners, and it doesnt add any noise that I can hear. Its a powered satellite TV splitter. It accepts F connections, so its perfect for the ST-2. Sorry the angle is bad, had to reach behind the desk to snap the pic.

Attachments

• f split.jpg
    f split.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,088

llwade

Premium Subscriber
LOWERROLLIN
I like the fact you are getting three lines in without any significant line loss.
It would be easy to hide behind the desk too.
but what about the cost and where do you get it?

Laxplurr06

I run 7 radios off of my splitter without any loss. I have an electroline EDA-UG 2802. I got it off ebay for about 30 bucks. I recommend this splitter because it has an active return meaning the signal is amplified before being split. The one I have is said to give zero loss to all of its ports.

Bottom line save your money and get one of these splitters instead of paying for an expensive one from scanner master. Also this one leaves room for expansion with the number of ports it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.