Rural Electric Coops going digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Anybody know if rural electric coops are going digital in your area? I'm fairly certain that ours has. I know because the morse code ID at the end matches.

However, I have a digital scanner and have yet to pick them up on there. It sounds like P25 to me, but maybe it's not. Are there other systems that sound similar in analog mode? Has the usual static, and then the loud buzzing at the end, just like P25. It's not MPT-1327 like other electric utilities are using around me for sure.

Also, as far as I know, in my county (Lyon) it seems to be on their original conventional (not trunked) fq of 451.425 (WNAL644) -- only it's digital . . . a look at their license shows they have added "7K60FXE" emission -- which is 7.6 KHz bandwidth, FM telephony -- but the "X" indicates "other" signal. The licenses I've seen usually have a 1 in that position if they're P25, so I'm a little confused.

Anybody else experiencing this? I don't know how much the coops are connected -- but I know they use each others radio frequencies when doing mutual aid work, so if one was digital and the others weren't, that would get old quite fast . . .

Scott
Rock Rapids

W2NJS

That 7X designator leads me to think your source might have gone to TRBO or a similar very narrow digital format.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
TIP REC out of Brooklyn switched to Mototrbo in the last year.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Anybody know if rural electric coops are going digital in your area? I'm fairly certain that ours has. I know because the morse code ID at the end matches.

However, I have a digital scanner and have yet to pick them up on there. It sounds like P25 to me, but maybe it's not. Are there other systems that sound similar in analog mode? Has the usual static, and then the loud buzzing at the end, just like P25. It's not MPT-1327 like other electric utilities are using around me for sure.

Also, as far as I know, in my county (Lyon) it seems to be on their original conventional (not trunked) fq of 451.425 (WNAL644) -- only it's digital . . . a look at their license shows they have added "7K60FXE" emission -- which is 7.6 KHz bandwidth, FM telephony -- but the "X" indicates "other" signal. The licenses I've seen usually have a 1 in that position if they're P25, so I'm a little confused.

Anybody else experiencing this? I don't know how much the coops are connected -- but I know they use each others radio frequencies when doing mutual aid work, so if one was digital and the others weren't, that would get old quite fast . . .

Scott
Rock Rapids

I'm pretty sure I saw that license go through with the 7K60FXE emission added to it. I have been seeing more and more licenses getting that emission added, even in the public safety sector. MotoTRBO is definitely making its way into Iowa. I have tried messing around with DSD to decode it without very much luck so far.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.