Rural Metro Rochester

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacSupport1

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know why Rural/Metro Rochester switched from numbers in the 900's to numbers in the 700's recently? Or did they add 700 series units. I hear them using both.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know why Rural/Metro Rochester switched from numbers in the 900's to numbers in the 700's recently? Or did they add 700 series units. I hear them using both.
Seth, I got an inquiry into one of the 911 EMS dispatchers about this. I'll let you know as soon as I hear.

(I'm a retired out Dispatcher II out of Rochester-Monroe County 911. My old stomping grounds, literally.)

eng5

Premium Subscriber
Didn't they just change from the 700's to the 900's a few years ago?

TacSupport1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Steve. The only reason I could think of is maybe they ran out of 901-950 numbers that were allocated to them?

D

DaveNF2G

Rural/Metro has always had 7000-series numbers, since the countywide fire/EMS numbering system went into effect (back when it was still National). Monroe was using 9000-series numbers, along with the various industrial EMS units.

kc2nru

Rural/Metro has always had 7000-series numbers, since the countywide fire/EMS numbering system went into effect (back when it was still National). Monroe was using 9000-series numbers, along with the various industrial EMS units.

Not 100% true.

Spider-Man and OP... Stopped in at ECD tonight and got caught up on quite a bit. The 7000 series was changed when Xerox ambulance began running back whenever. Theirs and the Rural Metro ambulances conflicted with the unit numbers which prompted metro to change to the 9000 series.

I guess the reason for the change BACK to the 7000 series is Xerox is no longer operating an ambulance.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Not 100% true.

Spider-Man and OP... Stopped in at ECD tonight and got caught up on quite a bit. The 7000 series was changed when Xerox ambulance began running back whenever. Theirs and the Rural Metro ambulances conflicted with the unit numbers which prompted metro to change to the 9000 series.

I guess the reason for the change BACK to the 7000 series is Xerox is no longer operating an ambulance.
Carl,

I was there last Wednesday for awards, but no time to catch up on stuff like this. I had an inquiry out to Double T, but he had not gotten back to me. He thought the number change might have something to do with the City becoming the 7th Battalion, but not sure if that is wishful thinking, or rumor, or more. But he'd been on vacation for two weeks and had not been back yet to catch up on gossip. He may know more in a day or two.

D

DaveNF2G

Xerox ambulance was supposed to be in the 9000s (the Industrial Battalion) way back when. Medic 90 was Xerox Webster. Somebody evidently decided to mess around with an established system at some point. Wouldn't have been the first time.

TacSupport1

Premium Subscriber
Here's "771" which I caught today at a working fire. Previously, their numbers only went as high as the 940's. Still have the "9" suffix on all numbers.The rig numbering scheme I can't figure out...the three ALS ambulances on scene are the newest to the fleet, yet had numbers far apart. I can't figure out how the numbers correspond. I was going to ask, but they had patients.

Attachments

• 771.jpg
    771.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,584
D

DaveNF2G

Like National, R/M Rochester apparently recycles rig numbers within a range of numbers assigned to their fleet. At some point, which recurs periodically, the newest rigs actually have numbers that are much lower than their immediate predecessors. National Ambulance rig numbers didn't go below 32 (or 7329) when I worked there in the 1980s, and the highest numbers were reaching the 90s (7909) then.

On National's rigs, both the leading "battalion" number 7 and the trailing "ambulance" indicator 9 were about half the size of the actual rig number in the middle.

Rural/Metro appears to be continuing the tradition of de-emphasizing the 9, which is part of every ambulance number in Monroe County and therefore is not significant in identifying a particular rig.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
Here's the short answer:

All Ambulances in Monroe County end in 9

- Rural Metro used to be 7xx9
- The EMS coordinator had Rural Metro move to the 9xx9 series with Monroe Amb to have all commercial EMS units in the 9xx9 block, and "industry" Public Safety (Kodak and Xerox) in the 7xx9 block
- Recently, Rural Metro needed more numbers than what was in their 9xx9 block. EMS Coordinator gave them 7309 to 7999

tpg

Status
Not open for further replies.