Russian Cargo Plane in Kinston

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Just a "Heads Up" for all the aircraft listeners out there that on or about the middle of October, a specific date to be named later, that a Russian cargo plane, possibly an AN -225 will be landing in Kinston to pick up some heavy cargo. Namely some aircraft parts. I will provide updates as they come as to exactly when.

WA1ATA

An AN225 to move some "airplane parts". I'm curious what those airplane parts are. The cargo weight capacity of the AN225 is greater than the empty weight of a 747.

Of course, it could just be a load of many many parts. The Wikipedia entry on the AN225 says the first commercial use of the Antonov was to move 216,000 MREs (pre-prepared meals) from Stuttgart to Oman for the US military in 1992. 187.5 tons of meals.

OCO

Hopefully someone will catch some pics...I saw the cable channel series on building the big Airbus..amazing to think they can build those large components in various places around the world, transport to the assembly plant in France and with all the transportation headaches still do it economically. Keep us posted!

robschonk

We used to have some heavy lift Russian aircraft come into NAS Norfolk. One time it was carrying a new propeller for a British Frigate which had sustained damage. Cheaper and quicker than bringing it across on a freighter. Impressive aircraft.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just a "Heads Up" for all the aircraft listeners out there that on or about the middle of October, a specific date to be named later, that a Russian cargo plane, possibly an AN -225 will be landing in Kinston to pick up some heavy cargo. Namely some aircraft parts. I will provide updates as they come as to exactly when.

It is actually being specially flown in to help my exwife get back to her home state
of Kentucky. The Antonov is the only plane able to get 'her off the ground.
Though she does have to pay for more than one seat :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR
(P.S. I keed, I keed!)

ts548

It is actually being specially flown in to help my exwife get back to her home state
Marshall KE4ZNR
(P.S. I keed, I keed!)

lol lol

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Marshall KE4ZNR
(P.S. I keed, I keed!)

Thanks Marshall. Now we have something to "Blackmail" you with.
To start, I want a new scanner of my choice each year or when ever a new model comes out. Whichever comes first.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Russian cargo plane arrival has been postponed until the 21st. More updates as they come.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mtn Biker,
That set the plant abuzz.
We still have two parts hanging up in the plant still being worked on.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
It's here!!
But a little of a bummer as it was it's little sister. Only had the 4 engines.
Pretty blue and white. Didn't have time to grab the camera but at least half the plant stopped what they were doing and ran outside to watch it land. We have a lot of hard hours in this thing and we want to see it gone.
I'll get a good picture ASAP!

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
O.K. As promised. Here is a picture of the AN 125 parked out the back door of the plant

Attachments

• AN 124 003.jpg
    AN 124 003.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,473

PJH

Premium Subscriber
We typically received the big brother at the airport I used to be posted at for aircraft parts and other large items that were going overseas. The engineers that would come out to inspect that aircraft said although it was technically airworthy, it was being held together by duct tape and zip ties and they wouldn't want to fly in it.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.