Russian HF digital use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Over the last 28 months or so, I've been attempting to catalog Russian HF Digital modes that have been reported in the UDXF. The numbers and oddities sub group is found here, and specializes in reception and analysis of these modes. The document can be found here

Some of these modes can be read, but no one knows precisely what they are saying. They can be read by the popular Rivet software, the link for it and the user guide can be found here

Is it complete? Hardly. There are 2 sites - Antonio's blog and the Priyom websites - which go into great detail about modes and schedules. This is not easy stuff to understand - analysis is being done with very expensive software which most folks would find cost-prohibitive. The old Dutch proverb applies here - if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

Modes? Well there are a few that are take-offs from the popular MFSK ham software, but these won't read these kinds of transmissions. For example, in the three month cumulative UDXF logs, I found about 6 logs of Moscow using MFSK-6 (yes you read that right). And there are a couple of stations using MFSK-16 but as I understand it, there's an extra bit added to the data stream which would pretty much defeat any MFSK-16 ham software from reading it.

Welcome to the Dark Side of the Force...(heh)

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.