RX-320D HF Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm looking to buy this radio from ten-tec direct and i wanted to know if anyone on here currently uses this radio and if so how do they like it. Should i look for something else within this price range? I'm running windows 7 32bit home premium and would like to stay away from a portable. Anything out there in my price range $350-400

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
With the hamfest season upon us, you never know what you will find...however, that being said, the 320 is an excellent way to get started, if you wish to explore the HF world using your PC. I would suggest joining the 320 Yahoo group to see what software is compatible with Win7, but there are several packages out there that are quite capable. The current version of the 320 now includes a USB port, but how that plays out with the current batch of software, I don't know.

I do know more than a few folks (including 1 or 2 MT editors) that use it as either a primary or backup receiver. It has up to 32 different bandwidths, and is more than capable of hearing DX (I have one, and did hear a good bit just with a loop in my attic - which I had to take down, darn it...). You can research reviews using the links found here...

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

Check out the eHam General Coverage and NASWA links. In fact, for whatever rx you wish to investigate, keep that receiver reviews page handy. There's a ton of reference material there.

As to software support - there are several much older packages that may run in Win7 in compatibility mode (Clifton Turner's controller, Scan320 among them), but here's a few titles you might want to look at:

-Callsign ScopeStation
-DXtra
-Ergo
-RxPlus
-RxWings
-Shortwave Log

All of these are linked from here...

Receiver Software Applications - The RadioReference Wiki

And one more...

-TRX Manager

found linked from here...

Amateur Radio Transceiver Control - The RadioReference Wiki

Now as an alternative, I see someone has the Eladit FDM-77 on the Universal Radio used list for 349.95. Unfortunately there isn't nearly the software support, but it does give you a toehold into the world of Software Defined Radio.

Keep in mind you will need a good antenna (preferably outdoors) to make full use of rxs like these, so you avoid hearing your PC instead. Indoor antennas can be used, but it can be a bit of a challenge to make sure you don't run into this issue, particularly if you are in an apartment or condo. I'm in that boat now, unfortunately.

Lots to think about. 73 Mike

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is one issue that a lot of people forget when doing comparisons on this rx (and this has been documented on the Yahoo group); there is a small amp in line with the little whip antenna that comes with the unit. The amp is good enough for the stronger stations, but that's about it. If you don't use a plug with a longer barrel (I've forgotten the type of jack...), the plug will not disconnect the amp from the circuit - so you will end up using the stock whip, no matter what antenna you attempt to use. You will automatically assume the unit isn't sensitive, and that's very far from the truth.

Comparing the 320 to any portable is, frankly, an unfair comparison. You aren't connecting a portable to a PC to run it, so right there is a significant difference. You could only make a valid comparison to something like a PCR1000 or 100 (since they were both around about the time the 320 came out). Any other kind of comparison is like comparing apples to oranges.

73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
Thank ka3jjz & e-man for all the replies and help in putting me in the right direction. I don't know if i want to marry my receiver to my computer so now im going to look at the r75 and vr5000. I will let you guys know when i know :)

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Don't bother with the VR-5000! It's a dog of a receiver on HF. What would you be using that for? Let's stop you from wasting good money on a bad radio

73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
Well i got a lot of my questions sorted out. I'm 100% going to go with the RX-320D cause it supports win7 and its half the price of the r75. When i do order it i will let you know and maybe if i have more questions you can help me. Thank you again in advance

Mike L

Status
Not open for further replies.