• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RX and TX static

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Motorola radius M1225 Installed in my 2015 dodge 2500. Before purchaseing my new truck I was having issues a lot of the time on our repeaters TXing and RXing. When moving the radio from one truck to the other I replaced the antenna wire and antenna mount. I had to mount the antenna onto the driver side fender due to height issues in garage. I have the same radio in another truck with a mag mount and have zero issues. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 382

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The first obvious thing is to check SWR. The mount does not look like it is well-grounded. The paint under the mount needs to be removed down to bare metal so the mount gets a good DC and RF ground, and all electrical connections need to be sealed with something to prevent water intrusion and corrosion.

cmdrwill

The first obvious thing is to check SWR. The mount does not look like it is well-grounded. The paint under the mount needs to be removed down to bare metal so the mount gets a good DC and RF ground, and all electrical connections need to be sealed with something to prevent water intrusion and corrosion.

Very good points to check.

What antenna is the OP using on the M1225?

Adapters on the antenna jack on the radio may have caused bad center pin connectivity.

AZ_chris

If that mount is sitting directly on the paint, you're not getting any ground to the antenna either.
You need to sand some paint off and get bare metal where the bolt meets the metal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Some other things to check...

Make sure antenna coaxial cable is routed away from other vehicle wiring. There are a lot of noise generators in modern vehicles.

Make sure coaxial cable isn't getting pinched by the hood, or anywhere else. SWR check would probably indicate this, but not necessarily.

Also, depending on what type of NMO mount you are using, they may not seal properly. Since most NMO mounts are designed to go through the roof of the vehicle, they are not properly sealed on the underside. Using the external bracket mounts like that leave the underside of the mount, and the bare coax, exposed to rain, snow, road salts, etc. This can quickly lead to corrosion and create all kinds of issues, including static on TX and RX.
It's imperative that you properly seal the underside of the mount to keep it protected, and absolutely keep the water out of the inside of the coax cable.

Thanks all for the replies!
I did not remove any of the paint under the mount before mounting, but under the screw to the fender has some paint removed. I will try removing some more of the paint. I don't have an SWR meter to check that. What would you guys recommend placing on the connection of the antenna, and the antenna wire? There really isn't any type of protection there.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
How is the power ran?

DC grounding of the mount shouldn't be a primary issue (once you snug them down they generally make contact), RF ground is more important (which can be 100% independent of the reference ground). I have used one of those mounts on a 2015 6.7 before and it is quiet as could be (no sanding necessary) and oddly enough, it's running a M1225 as well. Chrysler is notorious for having alternator noise on their engines (the Cummins diesels were generally an exception) and it was generally an issue discovered based on how the power was ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.