?'s about UniTrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

sorry for all the trouble guys i just cant get it ?

I suggest concentrating on getting basic signal decode to work. Worry about the other stuff later. That said ...

i agree ok so how do i get it to decode i tryed other control freq and got the same results, and its strong 99%? i can here it throgh my speakers on the comp its static till some one talks, same sound when i listen to the scanner
Any Motorola or EDACS channel that you know is Moto or EDACS is going to be decoded by UT, whether the system is imported into UT via RR or whether you don't import anything at all. It'll just pop up as a new system and will show info

as far as this doing it all by its self nothing has happend at all so it must not be decoding right?

I know it sounds like a lot to do, but it's a logical next step. When I installed by tap in my 996 I initially did something wrong that ended up causing noise to be induced into the audio as it was fed into the computer and it caused problems - If I touched the ground on the 1/8th jack I could decode and if I let go I got all kinds of crappy noise induced. I forgot what I had done wrong at that time

Manually use Tune to scan between 851 and 868.975 - find some active control channel frequencies for systems you can identify (by ear) as Motorola or EDACS. Find strong ones, that give you a completely strong signal. Do this while your scanner is somewhat near your computer but not plugged into the computer. Note the quality of the audio. then once you hook it back up to the computer listen to hte audio (not through the discrim/sound card but through the scanner's speaker) and see if you notice any change in the quality (decreased sig strength, noise induced) - then monitor the discriminator output for same.

i tryed the sugggestions and it was all the sameno differince at all

and what should the scope look like? and could you show me a good one as a ref for me.

Next step may be trying to record some of the audio (using your computer, maybe the Sound Recorder under Accessories - I thin that is where it is). Record a short sample sound bite, save it, then if you have someplace you can upload it to you should do that and then provide us the link so we can hear it

dont know how to do this

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Let me ask you a question... If you are monitoring the scope and you UNplug the audio cable from the computer (the audio cable that comes from the discriminator tap), does the scope wave change to flatline?

And forgive me, but I didn't pay attention to what scanner you have - Can you tell us what scanner you have, give us a link to the information you used to tap your scanner and tell us if you used the appropriate capacitor?

Mike

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

now i have done somthing, in my scope is not moving at all and i cant here from the comp if the scanner is not in scan mode, if i put it on the control channel all i here is static now no talking like i did befor

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
are you feeding in into your MIC IN or your LINE IN? I prefer MIC IN. Of course it may make no difference. Mine does work with either MIC or LINE IN. But try both - and when you do, make sure you go into your Audio Properties recording section and change it so that it's accepting the input from the MIC IN instead of LINE IN (unless your card autodetects this).

On your sound card it could make a difference.. or not.

Mike

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

ok i got it fixed my groung in the scanner came off
mic in
and yes i tryed both but the mic is a lot louder

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

i can here talking from the scanner on the comp if i leave the scanner on a control channel yes but nothing is happing on ut

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
i can here talking from the scanner on the comp if i leave the scanner on a control channel yes but nothing is happing on ut

You shouldn't hear any "talking" on the computer if you leave the scanner on a controlchannel - you should hear control channel the 3600 or 9600 baud control channel data sounds. You should hear it constantly.

Mike

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

i can here what sounds like static and when some one talks it breaks the static on the scanner if i put it on a control ch i dont here the talking i only here static but from the comp i here both

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you're listening to the control channel on a Motorola system, it should sound similar to one of these:
http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/Moto3600 Type-II OL.mp3
http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/Moto3600 Type-II Fast.mp3

Does the "static" you describe sound like one of those or does it truly sound like "static"? If it sounds like "static" then you either aren't tuned to a control channel or you aren't in range of the control channel you want to listen to.

Sounds to me like you are tuning to one of the voice frequencies for the system, have the squelch open, and just hear static until some talkgroup becomes active on the frequency. You need to make sure you are sitting on a bonafide control channel.

Mike

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

your links arent working but yes it is the control channel now that i have fixed my tap i only here the noise of the control channel just like the scanner if i scan the scanner i here them talk but only if the scanner is set to scan if i put the scanner on the control ch all i here is the noise and my scope never moves now

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
you don't want your scanner to be in trunk mode, the data frequency is programmed as a conventional channel. If the system you monitor changes data channels, you need to put them all in. You should not hear static over the scanner speaker when monitoring the data channel but a repetitive, mechanical data noise. When you listen to the tap you will hear a similar noise but it will not be as crisp.
If you are scanning or get any voice over the scanner or computer, it will not work. The scanner will only be used for a single function for now and that is to feed the data stream to the computer.
If you have beginner soldering skills, be sure to inspect the finished work to ensure the there are no solder "bridges" to other adjacent traces or components.

chris

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
your links arent working but yes it is the control channel now that i have fixed my tap i only here the noise of the control channel just like the scanner if i scan the scanner i here them talk but only if the scanner is set to scan if i put the scanner on the control ch all i here is the noise and my scope never moves now

My links aren't working? They work for me. I guess you don't have a media player installed? CQ is right about the trunking, I had overlooked that. Go to tune mode and punch in the frequency of the current control channel - like he said, you'll hear the data. It's an obvious sound completely different from static. If you aren't hearing it, then you aren't sitting on a control channel. It's not static, and I do not believe it can be confused with static. If you hear static, you're sitting on a channel with nothing happening on it (which means it won't be a control channel). So for starters just program each of teh trunked system frequencies in manually and then figure out which one has the constant data stream on it. That's the one you'll let it sit on, and that's the one that should produce something in UT.

Mike

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

ok so i dont want the scanner on the 867.66250 control ch the one that ucan says is the control ch for 004 Utah County my area? it list alot of ch's but that is the control ch i have programed in the scanner and when some one talks it show's up with an id tag i entered the tag as what i know it to be for sample 867.66250 control ch
id tag come's in say it's 45120 witch is provo police ch 1 call sign KOA now every time that tag show's up it come's in and says what i put in for that tag, thats in scan mode if i put it on man not scann it allways stops on that control ch and it says control 99% ? also my scope was moving around then i started tinkering with stuff and now it dont move at all so i checked my work in the scanner and found that the ground came off so i put it back and still nothing dont know what i did but i messed it up i think i am going to have to start over with the tap

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

ok so i redid my tap and its good now the scop is moving and when i un plug it the scope stops i erased my scanner compleatley of everything and i used the fine tune mode and your are right its not static thier is a differance between the channels and the control ch im in tune mode sitting on the control ch cant here nothing and ut is still not doing anything if i program the comtrol ch in the scanner i get talking and a hole bunch of tag id's every time some one talk's if i am scanning and if i stop it on the control ch i get that noise but no talking and no matter what i do nothing happens in ut

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
ok so i redid my tap and its good now the scop is moving and when i un plug it the scope stops i erased my scanner compleatley of everything and i used the fine tune mode and your are right its not static thier is a differance between the channels and the control ch im in tune mode sitting on the control ch cant here nothing and ut is still not doing anything if i program the comtrol ch in the scanner i get talking and a hole bunch of tag id's every time some one talk's if i am scanning and if i stop it on the control ch i get that noise but no talking and no matter what i do nothing happens in ut

And when you manually go into TUN mode and enter in the active control channel and hear the data sound, does your PRO-96 show any information about the system you are attempting to monitor on its LCD?

mike

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

its a pro 97 when in tune mode no it dont say anything but if i program the channel into bank 0 ch 1 it says MOT:sys-7202 99% and every so offten id tag's shows up but i cant here it unless i set the scanner to scan mode

Last edited:

rchalupajr

To use Unitrunker, the scanner has to be parked on the control channel. Manual Mode. You will not be able to monitor voice conversations because it has to be left on the control channel for UT to work. You will need another scanner to monitor the voice comms.

Last edited:

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

To use Unitrunker, the scanner has to be parked on the control channel. Manual Mode. You will not be able to monitor voice conversations because it has to be left on the control channel for UT to work. You will need another scanner to monitor the voice comms.

i see people who use it with the same scanner as mine why would it work for them and not mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.