?'s about UniTrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

daranged

Premium Subscriber
i am kinda new to all this but how dose this work and what scanner do i need for it to work ?
i got the app installed it pluged in my scanner and nothing happend at all dont know if my scanner can be used for this or if i am just doing somthing wrong

i have the 97 pro scanner, win xp pro, sp 3

thanks justin

daranged

Premium Subscriber
no i have tryed to get it to work but still nothing i think i am just doing it wrong

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Does your radio have a discriminator tap?

ok yes i got it but i still cant get this to work i guess i dont under stand how to work it ?

Wait a minute... are you sure you have a discriminator tap? Just seems strange that you have tapped the discriminator on a scanner but are so defeated by a program.

tap --> audio cable --> line-in on your pc audio card. Remember, a simple headphone jack on your scanner isn't enough. It's got to be audio obtained from the discriminator.

If you definitely have a discriminator tap, plug a set of headphones into the tap while you're tuned to a control channel and see if you hear hte control channel data. If you don't, then there is definitely something wrong with your tap. If you do hear audio then make sure you have your line-in (or microphone if that's the input your feeding to) enabled on your audio recording controls. If you don't have your recording options on the pc set to take the input from the microphone or line in, or if you have it muted, then you won't get a result.

Mike

daranged

Premium Subscriber
Wait a minute... are you sure you have a discriminator tap? Just seems strange that you have tapped the discriminator on a scanner but are so defeated by a program.

tap --> audio cable --> line-in on your pc audio card. Remember, a simple headphone jack on your scanner isn't enough. It's got to be audio obtained from the discriminator.

If you definitely have a discriminator tap, plug a set of headphones into the tap while you're tuned to a control channel and see if you hear hte control channel data. If you don't, then there is definitely something wrong with your tap. If you do hear audio then make sure you have your line-in (or microphone if that's the input your feeding to) enabled on your audio recording controls. If you don't have your recording options on the pc set to take the input from the microphone or line in, or if you have it muted, then you won't get a result.

ok i fallowed the instructions found here http://www.naturalgfx.com/pro97_discriminator.htm and i pluged in my headphones to it and yes i here it but its vary faint, also my scanner is not on the list of unitrunker radio's, the program confuses me ?

SCPD

QRT
ok i fallowed the instructions found here http://www.naturalgfx.com/pro97_discriminator.htm and i pluged in my headphones to it and yes i here it but its vary faint, also my scanner is not on the list of unitrunker radio's, the program confuses me ?
Connect the discriminator audio to your computer. Configure the program to accept the audio by creating a signal receiver pointed to the appropriate audio port. Tune your PRO-97 to an active control channel. Set the receiver set-up (in the program) to "Running" and watch the oscilloscope pane for a decent looking waveform. Adjust signal level as needed (from Window's audio control panel).

daranged

Premium Subscriber
i did all that "and watch the oscilloscope " i see that its moving good but after i do all that still nothing happens. maybe im just comp stupid ive been reading everything i can find and i guess i just dont under stand what im suposed to be doing but everything says its working how can i copy the pic of what i see maybe that would help you to help me?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
i did all that "and watch the oscilloscope " i see that its moving good but after i do all that still nothing happens. maybe im just comp stupid ive been reading everything i can find and i guess i just dont under stand what im suposed to be doing but everything says its working how can i copy the pic of what i see maybe that would help you to help me?

Click on the window that you want to get a screenshot of (such as one of the UT windows). When the focus is on it, then hold down ALT and hit PRTSCRN (or PRINTSCREEN) - one of those odd keys that rarely gets used. So, the combo ALT-PRINTSCREEN. Once you do that, open up Paint (can be found under Program Files / Accessories). Once Paint is open, select Edit/Paste (or when inside Paint, type CTRL-V to paste the picture that ALT-PRINTSCREEN captured). Then in Paint go to File / Save As - name it something, select the extension .PNG and save it to a location that you can get to.

Then you can come on the forum and create a post that attaches that picture.

Don't get defeated. You are obviously almost there. The hard part is likely over. See if you can get a screen capture of the picture and present it so Rick can see what it's doing.

Mike

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

i just dont know what im doing thanks for all the help

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
This looks good. The two screenshots of interest would be the two receiver panels - the "Info" and "Oscilloscope" panels. The 'scope display looks good - if a bit fuzzy . I'm curious to see the receiver settings from the "Info" tab. Can you post that?

What system are you trying to monitor? That waveform looks like an EDACS control channel but judging from your location I was expecting to see a Motorola waveform.

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

ya its Motorola 7202 sys control ch 867.66250 from ut county in provo ut

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
ya its Motorola 7202 sys control ch 867.66250 from ut county in provo ut
Based on the 'scope image - I'll make a few suggestions.

1. try for better reception - move the radio, change attennas, etc.
2. turn up the recording volume (slightly) in Window's audio control panel.

The next two are optional but may make a difference

3. experiment with line vs. microphone input - one may work better than the other.
4. experiment with different sample rates (try 48000 and 44100 in addition to 96000) and sample sizes (both 8 and 16 bits); some sound devices use different filtering which can impact decoding.

I also suggest trying other control channels in your area.

daranged

Premium Subscriber
?

it will not let me dl anything from the rr Database , or input freq's , channel's, group's, users, sites, patches i dont know if this dose it when its working or not or if i have to enter them or what couse it dont let me enter anything, what is in is what i put in and i dont know if it is right or not

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I suggest concentrating on getting basic signal decode to work. Worry about the other stuff later. That said ...

it will not let me dl anything from the rr Database,
Quite right. You must be a RadioReference.com subscriber.

or input freq's , channel's,
Channels belong to sites, not systems - so (if you're doing this all manually) you have to create a site, open the site, select the channels tab, and add your channels there. You can add channels to the channel tab on the system window - but you must select an existing channel for the program to infer the site.

Note - once you've got decoding to work - the most you should have to do for channels if fill in the frequencies. In the case of a 800 Mhz Motorola systems - you won't even need to do that.

group's, users, sites,
Select the corresponding tab and click the plus "+" on the toolbar. You'll get a blank row. Double-click that to fill in the details.

You don't enter patches - you observe them from the control channel.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi,

Here is what I would suggest this point - follow Ricks suggestion about sampling rates, turning up the audio level, adjusting your scanner position for best receive, etc.

Keep in mind that with your scanner hooked up to the computer and nearby the computer, you could be getting some noise induced on the line that is causing problems with a decode.

Manually use Tune to scan between 851 and 868.975 - find some active control channel frequencies for systems you can identify (by ear) as Motorola or EDACS. Find strong ones, that give you a completely strong signal. Do this while your scanner is somewhat near your computer but not plugged into the computer. Note the quality of the audio. then once you hook it back up to the computer listen to hte audio (not through the discrim/sound card but through the scanner's speaker) and see if you notice any change in the quality (decreased sig strength, noise induced) - then monitor the discriminator output for same.

Any Motorola or EDACS channel that you know is Moto or EDACS is going to be decoded by UT, whether the system is imported into UT via RR or whether you don't import anything at all. It'll just pop up as a new system and will show info.

So just do that with any frequencies you can find that are control channels of systems UT is known to be able to decode.

I know it sounds like a lot to do, but it's a logical next step. When I installed by tap in my 996 I initially did something wrong that ended up causing noise to be induced into the audio as it was fed into the computer and it caused problems - If I touched the ground on the 1/8th jack I could decode and if I let go I got all kinds of crappy noise induced. I forgot what I had done wrong at that time.

If you have SoundMAX audio, I think you have onboard audio on your computer (and perhaps an Intel board). At any rate, ricks mention about sample rates and such is because not all sound cards are created equally, and onboard sound cards often [at least to me] seem to be of lesser quality. Although I do know my on board card on my Intel motherboard (which also uses SoundMAX drivers) does decode fine.

Like I said, really forget about importing anything into UT at this time - instead focus on getting a strong signal with no strange noises on the signal - get used to hearing a "proper" Moto or EDACS control channel. Try tuning to many of them and see if UT will respond to any of them while "Running". I think I heard some people say that they had seen problems when switching control channels while it was running - I never have a problem, but you may want to Stop the receiver, switch to another active CC, then start the receiver again.

If it is decoding at all, on a control channel for a system that you do not have any imported data for, you'll start seeing new windows pop up as it starts to identify characteristics of the system. That'd be a telltale sign that it is working, at least somewhat.

Next step may be trying to record some of the audio (using your computer, maybe the Sound Recorder under Accessories - I thin that is where it is). Record a short sample sound bite, save it, then if you have someplace you can upload it to you should do that and then provide us the link so we can hear it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.