• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

?s re: Setting Up 996 & Reviewing Locked Out Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlawrence

I'm in the process of setting up my 996 and I have a few questions about setting it up for milair (or any conventional system, really) monitoring and reviewing locked out freqs within groups.

First Question: My initial thoughts about setting it up went something like this:

System: Milair
Groups: VT ANG, A-10s, Huntress, Otis, Air Refueling
Each group is assigned to a quick key within the system.

Is this the best way to set up a 996? One of my wishes is to be able to quickly lock out and unlock groups as they become active and/or I lose interest in listening to a group because something more interesting comes along. It occurs to me now that I might have been smarter by setting each of those groups up as a system to start with then I could quickly lock them out or unlock them as necessary. I find wading through the menu system to lock out a group wastes time and is cumbersome.

I also have another system I've called ATC in which I've put the interesting Boston Center freqs.

My question about this is, how have you set your 996/396 up for milair monitoring? What's worked best for you?

Second question: Is there a way via the keys on the front of the 996 (not via computer software) to review frequencies in a group that are locked out and then unlock them quickly? I hunted through my 996 manual but couldn't find a way to do this except for Search/Close Call locked out freqs.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.