S/T

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejnetguru

Question:

On the TRX, you have a "S" flashing in the same position as the T (often alternating or "S" alone). "T" means scanner is following the control channel but what does the "S" mean? It only flashes/appears when monitoring trunked systems.

For clarity I do not mean the "S" in position line , position 1 when listening, I'm referring to line 1, position 6 while scanning.

mejnetguru

Nobody has any other ideas? It's not in the manual either. I only see it on P25 systems too (never on CONV).

n5ims

Although I don't see anything specifically for the TRX, there's this (Easier to Read Pro-668/PSR800 Digital Scanner and EZ-Scan/iScan Software Manual) for the GRE version of what it's based on that has an explanation of the display. There's also this (Easier to Read Whistler WS1095/1098 Base/Mobile Scanner and Software Manual) for the newer Whistler versions (but still not specifically for the TRX).

Update, this (http://new.marksscanners.com/1080_1095/1080_1088.shtml#display) indicates "The Whistler TRX-1 is the same radio as the WS1088 with upgradeable firmware for newer protocols like NXDN." and has the same display information so it appears that this should be OK for the TRX as well.

S appears when the squelch circuit is open.

T blinks when the scanner is receiving a trunking control channel frequency.

Last edited:

mejnetguru

Why would the squelch be open but not decoding the trunk data? I only monitor the CCs and I am getting working trunking on my 1098 with P25 systems with almost solid "S, not "T". A bug maybe?

My TRX still sucks at P25 decode regardless but when it works, same thing.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
According to the TRX-2 owners manual; S is signal strength and is shown with the typical strength bars and T is trunked.

Ubbe

On DMR it says S when receiving a digital signal, like a control channel, and T when there is activity decoded like a call or data being sent.

/Ubbe

Ed6698

Last edited:

mejnetguru

As I read this, the inverted "S" would indicate that squelch is open w/o any trunking decoded. Essentially since the scanner is listening on a CC then the squelch is held open so it can look for trunk data regardless of the manual squelch setting. When it doesn't see any trunk data, it shows the inverted "S" but does not pass the "noise" along to the audio since it's looking for data. If it does see trunk data the inverted "T" shows (and no audio passed of course) until it sees TGs/radio IDs when it then switches to the VC per normal.

I regularly see a mostly solid "S" (not "T") but trunking still seems to work fine. I get very brief "T"s, call it 90% "S", 5%"T", and 5% "nothing". In my case, this is on FFX Co P25 w/WS-1098. My PSR-800 only shows the "T" since it doesn't have "S" but voice works about as well as the WS-1098, even lower impact of the LSM issues. My TRX-1 on the other hand sucks in all respects on P25 but shows the same basic amount of "S"/"T"/"nothing" as the PSR and WS.

Status
Not open for further replies.