• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Saber / Astro-Saber

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX-74205

Anyone able to help me program my Astro-Saber for listening only in the Southern California Area .. ?

Also have a Motorola Saber II, which I know at this point only can be program with DOS on a old computer, if anyone can help me out and a reasonable deal, please let me know, Have 2 sabers (VHF) and 3 Astro-Sabers UHF and VHF, killing me to not do anything with them..

XTS3000

Not sure how close you are to the ocean, but ya could always program one VHF radio for receive only on the popular marine channels. When something big goes down in the ocean, you'll be set for a dedicated receiver for maritime.

Program the WX channels for a rock solid weather band receiver.

Program all the MURS channels as well. Some interesting conversations happen there.

PACNWDude

MURS and WX are what mine were programmed for. Bought from a company that was replacing their Saber radios. Batteries are mostly dead or only last a few hours, but still good for listening.

A friend said it could be a bludgeon too if needed.

I do not have a programming RIB or RSS though. Some of the newer Astro Sabers could use CPS.

Find a radio shop and they should still have RSS, RIB and old enough computer to put frequencies on these radios, especially in CA. They are still popular in that state. Very good audio and receive discrimination.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I haven't ever played with the Saber RSS. I will say, you don't need as old of a computer as everyone says you need. I've ran the R100 and Syntor X9000 RSS on a P3 with the cache disabled. I've gotten the Spectra RSS to run on a dual core machine with the cache disabled (still booted in DOS or FreeDOS with a real serial port).

The Astro Spectra and Astro handheld CPS will program any of the Astro variants of the radios but will only run on a 32 bit OS (Win 7 is okay). Not sure if they make RIB-less cables for the Sabers…I happened to have accidentally found a Saber cable that I have for my ASTRO Sabers.

Might check out the P25 forums…might find the software you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.