• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Saber Bricked During Programming?

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have a very nice looking SABER II (not systems/Astro). I was able to read the codeplug using Saber RSS. When I tried to write a codeplug back to the radio, it displayed ERR 01 04. Now it's just stuck at that screen no matter what I do and RSS can't read it any more.

I suspect my computer wasn't slow enough, causing a corrupted write. Is the radio a brick? Do I need to replace the EEPROM? If so, is there a good place to find them?
They don't like fast computers. AT ALL.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
They don't like fast computers. AT ALL.

I've had success using Rufus DOS on a thumb drive with all of my programs on it. Plug it in so the computer boots to the thumb drive; I haven't had any problems so far using a Toughbook.

livitup311

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to this thread. Sorry for the long delay in following up.

I was able to read the radio using DosBox (slowed down to 77 ‘ticks’) on my regular (fast) computer, so I don’t think it’s dead. RSS said the code plug was corrupted, which I expected. I haven’t tried to write to the radio again.

Are the tuning values stored in the code plug? If so, I lucked out as the very first thing I did was download and save the code plug, prior to messing with it.

I’ve been properly chastised at this point and will either send it off to someone to program, if I can find someone, or continue searching for a 386 or 486 that I can run DOS on. Unfortunately, working PCs from that era cost “retro” money. If anyone has a lead on someone with the right gear to program, and the know how and willingness to do the work to program a 146-174 model with ham frequencies (144-148), please drop me a PM (if such things are allowed - if not, I’ll edit this post).

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to this thread. Sorry for the long delay in following up.

I was able to read the radio using DosBox (slowed down to 77 ‘ticks’) on my regular (fast) computer, so I don’t think it’s dead. RSS said the code plug was corrupted, which I expected. I haven’t tried to write to the radio again.

Are the tuning values stored in the code plug? If so, I lucked out as the very first thing I did was download and save the code plug, prior to messing with it.

I’ve been properly chastised at this point and will either send it off to someone to program, if I can find someone, or continue searching for a 386 or 486 that I can run DOS on. Unfortunately, working PCs from that era cost “retro” money. If anyone has a lead on someone with the right gear to program, and the know how and willingness to do the work to program a 146-174 model with ham frequencies (144-148), please drop me a PM (if such things are allowed - if not, I’ll edit this post).
When you read and store the codeplug the tuning values are contained in the CP. However, you can only see them by reading the radio in the service screen. I would highly suggest writing the values down on paper so that you can verify them later. The deviation and modulation comp values are pretty important as tuning them later is a big hassle.

When writing a codeplug to a radio you will get the choice of writing the RSS tuning values into the radio or retaining the radio tuning values. Your default should be to retain the radios native tuning values. The exception would be if you have just read that specific radio and wish to change a value in the RSS service menu. Then indeed your only option is to write the new tuning values into the radio.