• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Sabers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner71

I have only been using scanners in my listening career but I would like to branch out. I see some pictures of people using actual radios, is this a better way? My area is on a trunking system and P25, would these radios work? Would they show up on the dispatch console, or would that only happen if the PTT button was pushed? Also I see people using Minitors, why? Just to listen to fire? I have one because I am a fire fighter but is there more things that I can use it for?

NYCRADIO

if you are not authorized to have a saber radio you should not have one programmed at all. stick with scanner's i have a saber radio but its authorized for my job there no reason for you to have a radio even if you say you're not going to transmit

ssd

I thank if u have a non trs setup in ur radio its ok to have most of us how have and ues motos love them
If u have it pg not to tx its ok

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Keep a scanner. If your not an authorized user on a trunked p25 system keep it on a scanner

NYCRADIO

thanks at least someone understands there to many whackers out there already playing around with police radios and then turn around and say i never transmit it

conve36

if you are not authorized to have a saber radio you should not have one programmed at all. stick with scanner's i have a saber radio but its authorized for my job there no reason for you to have a radio even if you say you're not going to transmit

Sabers are GREAT radios! Having a commercial radio programmed for receive only for a specific frequency will be MUCH better than any scanner. I have a UHF Saber programmed for GMRS (i am a licensed GMRS user) and also have some UHF public safety freqs in it as well. Although the Saber is not "type accepted" for GMRS use....

As far as I know, there is no law saying you cant have a Motorola Saber programmed for public safety freqs as long as you dont transmit of course...

YouTube - Motorola Saber 2 w/ Convert-A-Com + DTMF Mic

Last edited by a moderator:

NYCRADIO

he not asking about gmrs he asking if he can program his saber to a p25 public safety he not authorized to have that channel at all in a commercial radio it's illegal whether you transmit don't transmit etc

"As far as I know, there is no law saying you cant have a Motorola Saber programmed for public safety freqs as long as you dont transmit of course.. "

Last edited by a moderator:

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Um...yeah

Most any commercial/public safety type of radio will open up another world for you.
It is PERFECTLY OK to use a Motorola, or any other brand of radio to monitor your local freqs. Performance is leaps and bounds over a scanner. And it can open up another aspect of the hobby for you.

Just research, research, research! That is half the fun.And you may get ripped if you don't know what you're looking for. Thats where research comes in.

Your local radio shop should have no issue programming a radio for RX only.

As for a minitor, it makes for a nice little rugged reciever for your local FD, or whatever else interests you.

Have fun!

SCPD

QRT
I have only been using scanners in my listening career but I would like to branch out. I see some pictures of people using actual radios, is this a better way? My area is on a trunking system and P25, would these radios work? Would they show up on the dispatch console, or would that only happen if the PTT button was pushed? Also I see people using Minitors, why? Just to listen to fire? I have one because I am a fire fighter but is there more things that I can use it for?
It can be done. Do your research. Get a radio that will work on the type of system you want to listen to. Program it yourself and make sure it will not transmit.
If you are not used to programing commercial radios I would say stick to scanners. You can easily get in trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

auxscan

calm down guys , he said he's a firefighter. If he has non-fire frequencies on his saber its okay to have it programmed to recieve only. Tx on frequencies that your authorized on. The motorola dealer will want to see your fire ID and will determine to program to non-authorized frequencies to RX only.

Since when are sabers expensive? you could get a decent saber $75-$200. $200-$300 for (digital)
however i've havent seen a trunking saber. you need a xts portable or something.

I'll choose a radio over a scanner anyday!

bezking

I am going to try and answer the OP's question.

I agree with some of the other posters in this thread... If you want a great CONVENTIONAL scanner, you can't beat /\/\otorola.

Trunking system? That's where it gets dicey. When you program a Motorola radio to a TRS (You can NOT just buy the software and do it, you need a system key, although it is possible to hack the radio so you don't need it), every time you begin monitoring that TRS, something called affiliation takes place. Affiliation occurs when the radio transmits a data burst to the trunking controller and basically says this: "Hi, system! I'm a Motorola Radio, and I would like to use your system now, please." The TRS Controller says, "That's great! What would you like to hear?" and so on. There are two things wrong with this:

1. You violated federal law by transmitting that affiliation burst on PUBLIC SAFETY frequencies.
2. Because your radio has affiliated, the system admin will see that it is there. If he is worth his salt, he will assume you are an unauthorized user. He will then instruct the TRS controller to send a "Kill" command to your radio. This permanently disables the radio forever, turning it into a brick.

(Notes: It's possible to disable affiliation, but it will only work on some systems under the right conditions. It's better not to try. Also, there are two ways to unbrick a radio: have the sysadmin unkill it, which they won't do, or send it to Motorola, where you run the risk of not getting it back.)

The moral of the story? Don't do it.

BTW, auxscan, the systems saber and the ASTRO saber are capable of trunking.

NYCRADIO

thank you bezking and auxscan i can say i'm a fbi agent believe me? just because he says he a firefighter and has a icon of a pretty firetruck don't mean anything

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
As far as I know, there is no law saying you cant have a Motorola Saber programmed for public safety freqs as long as you dont transmit of course...

Excuse me....

Section

(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with Sec. 90.417, no
person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the
licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

joelcrey

Legality

The quote of this FCC text is correct, of course. However, it is also clear from it that there is no prohibition in this section, whatsoever, that prohibits any programming into any RECEIVER any frequency you like. In addition, the excepted Sec 90.417 allows transmitting as well under specific conditions. It is perfectly legal to program any receive frequency on a Saber or any other radio.

As to performance, the sensitivity and selectivity of the Saber is much better than any scanner and the radio itself will be much better made than portable scanners. This does assume a well tuned radio and some of those on eBay may be desensitized or otherwise out of tune.

Assuming you are careful about who you buy the radio from, there any a lot of good deals out there for used equipment and I encourage you to pursue it. Buying programming software is somewhat more tricky but your local motorola dealer is quite likely to do it for a fee. Some of them don't approve of this idea, of course, legal or not, and will not do it. So be prepared to shop around a little. In addition to programming, they can also check the performance of the radio for you and tune it...for a fee.

Great idea. It is legal. Go for it!

Northerner71

Thank you for the info

Wow, thanks for the info, I thought I would try to expand my hobby and figured that a saber would be the way to go but I do not know much about them and wanted info on the subject first. I was nervous that the radio would try to affiliate to the system and they would shut me down. I am a fire fighter (assistant captain to boot) and that is why I wanted to learn about these radios. My little 500 isn't very sturdy and would be pointless on fire calls but the saber is built for situations like that. I wanted to be able to hear our ambulances which are on our local fleetnet and know that they were in route or not coming to our call which happens a lot. It seems that Motorola listeners aren't well liked by some, if I knew more I would love to try it, I guess I will research this and hopefully get some more input from fellow RR people.

NYCRADIO

if you're a asst. captain go down to the nearest Motorola shop and talk to them show you're id etc and they can help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.