Sac City fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben96cal

Are they on the city trunk system or on the county trunk? I have county in my scanner but haven't heard a peep out of them....

Thanks
Ben

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento City Fire

Sacramento City Fire Dispatch will appear on the TRS as "B1", TGID 59248 - you can pick that up from a city site OR a county site. It is typically broadcast on BOTH sites.

OR ... you can pick up the same thing, including fire tone outs, on their VHF frequency of 153.890 MHz (CT:162.2).

I have county in my scanner but haven't heard a peep out of them....
Then there is something wrong with your programming.

Ben96cal

sac city fire

Ok I'll check the programming but I think I have them in... Can someone define what the A, B, C and D talkgroups are for on the county fire section of the system? The seem to have the same type of TG's for each A-D....

Thanks
Ben

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento Fire TG usage

Can someone define what the A, B, C and D talkgroups are for on the county fire section of the system? The seem to have the same type of TG's for each A-D....
A TGs are used by Sac Metro Fire.
B TGs are used by Sacramento City Fire.
C TGs are "overflow" used by either. You'll notice that when TAC channels are assigned, they usually start with A6 and work their way up until they get to A12 (or the city uses B6 to B12). The next TAC channel they would assign is C6. I heard them do this (and I think C7) earlier this year when there were THAT MANY fires going on at the same time.
D TGs are used for training, although that's what the T TGs are supposed to be used for.

Ben96cal

Sac City

A TGs are used by Sac Metro Fire.
B TGs are used by Sacramento City Fire.
C TGs are "overflow" used by either. You'll notice that when TAC channels are assigned, they usually start with A6 and work their way up until they get to A12 (or the city uses B6 to B12). The next TAC channel they would assign is C6. I heard them do this (and I think C7) earlier this year when there were THAT MANY fires going on at the same time.
D TGs are used for training, although that's what the T TGs are supposed to be used for.
Got it, thanks. I thought I was only hearing county but was actually picking up both City and county. They sound so alike.. I'm getting the system at 2 bars from Livermore. Need to tinker with the yagi. I have it pointed northeast, trying to sweep through most of the sites. Maybe a selectable preamp?

Ben96cal

sac city fire

All fire departments in the county of Sacramento are dispatched by the Sacramento Regional Fire/EMS Communications Center (SRFECC) so you will hear the same people on both dispatch channels.
that would explain it.. Thanks for the info.. I tweaked my yagi enough to get 2-3 bars on the CC channel.. If they any particular direction other than straight at Sac that I would consider pointing the yagi.. I doubt there's any bounce if I were to point it other than North easterly correct? Looks like my best chance is on the 400 ft tower south of Sac...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
... I tweaked my yagi enough to get 2-3 bars on the CC channel.. If they any particular direction other than straight at Sac that I would consider pointing the yagi.. I doubt there's any bounce if I were to point it other than North easterly correct? Looks like my best chance is on the 400 ft tower south of Sac...
Here is a map of the city site transmitters and here is a map of the county site transmitters. You are going to have to use trial and error to see what works best for you. For all I know there is an object/building/etc blocking your "view" to one of the sites.

clanusb

Premium Subscriber
In service companies use D zone, D as in drill. T zone. as in training, is suppose to be used for the academies. since there arent going to be any academies for awhile they are used for whatever. sometimes you will hear drills on them as well.

dougr1252

I've found that filtering is really important for 800 MHz DX with all of the garbage from Nextel and other 24/7 digital services. Use LMR-400 or some other coax with serious shielding and then use a preselector for 866-869 MHz. Then a low-noise preamp, preferably adjustable or try the attenuator on the scanner. If you overdrive the scanner it's worse than no preamp. Mobile/base scanners typically have much better performance than handhelds.

The right direction to aim the yagi is the one that works. With multipath and reflections, the yagi may be acting more like an omni, but it has nulls in its pattern and you can use those to cut down interference somewhat. Get it up as high as you can too.

that would explain it.. Thanks for the info.. I tweaked my yagi enough to get 2-3 bars on the CC channel.. If they any particular direction other than straight at Sac that I would consider pointing the yagi.. I doubt there's any bounce if I were to point it other than North easterly correct? Looks like my best chance is on the 400 ft tower south of Sac...

Ben96cal

Sac City fire

I've found that filtering is really important for 800 MHz DX with all of the garbage from Nextel and other 24/7 digital services. Use LMR-400 or some other coax with serious shielding and then use a preselector for 866-869 MHz. Then a low-noise preamp, preferably adjustable or try the attenuator on the scanner. If you overdrive the scanner it's worse than no preamp. Mobile/base scanners typically have much better performance than handhelds.

The right direction to aim the yagi is the one that works. With multipath and reflections, the yagi may be acting more like an omni, but it has nulls in its pattern and you can use those to cut down interference somewhat. Get it up as high as you can too.
Any recommendations on a low noise preamp? I have everything else. What's a preselector??

Status
Not open for further replies.