Sac Fire Radios Critical Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt1331

Premium Subscriber
(this is a statement from Sac Metro Fire):

Just before 10am (Tuesday 3/18), Sacramento County radio systems experienced a critical failure during a scheduled test. Primary radio communications were lost in the county and cities. The Public Safety Radio System, the primary communication system for fire, law and a host of other public safety agencies, became inoperable.
The events that followed made it clear that the communication systems in place throughout Sacramento County and beyond are redundant enough to allow operations to continue without incident.
The moment Fire Dispatchers and field users determined there was a failure, we exercised our Radio Failure Plan, utilizing a back-up radio system. Notification of the failure and the implementation of the back-up system was immediately sent to all field units, pagers, fire station printers, and station alerting systems. Volunteer and reserve firefighters were sent alpha-numeric pages. The transition occurred quickly and seamlessly.
The system failure lasted roughly 10 minutes. Tyler Wagaman, Metro Fire Communications Captain, stated “We learned today that the system we have in place is completely effective. Even with a primary system failure, none of the services we provide were interrupted, and there was no compromise to our operations.”

sacscan

I wonder if this "radio failure" has anything to do with the eventual migration to P25? The reason I'm asking is because I have heard radio testing from different agencies on the SRRCS several times in the past week or so. In fact, right now Sac PD is once again operating on their county site TGIDs. They did this the other day too.

sacscan

Failsoft still going on. SPD now doing roll call on conventional channel 852.0125 CTCSS 156.7. They referred to this channel as "Zone Mars Channel 92".

jt1331

Premium Subscriber
fire dispatches are still on the standard 154.1900 and 153.8900

853.9875 c156.7 is being used as a command channel (they are calling it "C-Fire one")

Last edited:

fire3310

Premium Subscriber
National Ma / InterOp Frequencies

Do anybody have a list of the National Ma / InterOp Frequencies that Sac PD calls there back up channels ? Thanks

kma371

QRT
Just a quick update, I have talked some friends and determined this is all part of the P25 transition. Late Sunday night we should see some changes with the radio system. That's about all I can say for now.

Please report any findings to the thread. Thanks!

sacscan

Just a quick update, I have talked some friends and determined this is all part of the P25 transition. Late Sunday night we should see some changes with the radio system. That's about all I can say for now.
I knew it! This coincides perfectly with what RolnCode3 said in his post in the "New Sacramento P25 system" thread. Now to get crackin' on purchasing a Uniden BCD436HP, since that and the BCD536HP will be the only way to monitor this new P25 Phase ll system.

Sac916

I knew it! This coincides perfectly with what RolnCode3 said in his post in the "New Sacramento P25 system" thread. Now to get crackin' on purchasing a Uniden BCD436HP, since that and the BCD536HP will be the only way to monitor this new P25 Phase ll system.

We shall see -- Just MIGHT want to hold off on buying a 536HP / 436HP

It's hard to tell how the new scanners will perform when monitoring SRRCS... AND you may be just fine with the scanners you've been using for the last few years.

Have you read the drama on the Uniden threads.... ouch.

Personally - I'm going to wait until some of the technical issues get resolved on the new Unidens.

I'm hoping somebody with a new Uniden posts some performance reviews on Sacto threads.

sacscan

Thanks for the heads-up, antfreq. I'll wait.

I thought we needed to use the new scanners to monitor P25 Phase ll. I'd much rather use my existing digital scanners if possible.

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
The only scanners capable of handling this new system, which appears to be TDMA Phase II, are The PSR 800 and the Uniden x36HPs. So you will indeed need new scanner(s).

Sac916

Yes you'll need a new scanner when the system is fully dependent and running ONLY on the new system

Sent from my Android via Tapatalk app

Status
Not open for further replies.