Sac Metro Fire A1 TG on SRRCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
For a few days now, I am seeing scanning staying on Metro Fire A1 long after the voice has terminated. This is happening on any radio I have scanning the system. I am wondering if others are seeing this too. It's gotten bad enough that if I want to hear other traffic, I need to lock out the TG (and rely on the VHF channel).

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's been happening for a while now. I'm not sure if it's now worse. I've locked A1 and B1 out for a while now, mainly due to not liking the automated voice system, but also due to the delay on A1.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have my delay times set to 3 seconds. I changed the delay on A1 & B1 to Zero. It helped for a couple of days. It has now become a 100% annoyance. This seems like someone's total F up as this condition holds a voice frequency of the system hostage until it eventually releases it.

As far as the automated voice system is concerned, I don't have a problem with it specifically. You get the same thing on VHF but also way undermodulated. The bigger issue I had is the change from using map pages (which are very logical to my mind) to "districts". I've had to learn where every fire station is, but have largely managed that now.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I also noticed this while I was in town in April. I also locked out DISP A and DISP B and used a dedicated VHF radio for the dispatch channels. It was extremely annoying.

thedoug

I wish there was a solution for this. I guess I need to look up the VHF freq.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
154.190, 162.2 PL - Sacramento County Fire
153.890, 162.2 PL - Sacramento (City) Fire

Dragon911

For a few days now, I am seeing scanning staying on Metro Fire A1 long after the voice has terminated. This is happening on any radio I have scanning the system. I am wondering if others are seeing this too. It's gotten bad enough that if I want to hear other traffic, I need to lock out the TG (and rely on the VHF channel).
Thank gawd it's not just me. I nuked my sds-200 trying to figure it out. Started around July 4th.

thedoug

I enabled these frequencies. County fire dispatch is hard to hear and has lots of static. May need to try another antenna.

154.190, 162.2 PL - Sacramento County Fire
153.890, 162.2 PL - Sacramento (City) Fire

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
Where are you located? 154.190 is not on a repeater system. 153.890 is on a two-site repeater system.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Both VHF channels are undermodulated, as I wrote in my original post. And since they are analog, they certainly won't sound as good as the P25 versions. Additionally, it takes a little more of an antenna to pick up VHF as compared to 700/800MHz.

thedoug

I'm in Folsom. From my window, I could see the towers next to hwy 50 if that is where they transmit from. I did notice some improvement when I moved the scanner away from my computer monitors to the window sill. I'll try the two other rubber antennas I have to see it there is some improvement. After the clear signals from 700/800MHz the VHF does stand out.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sac Metro VHF (154.190) transmits from several locations. I'll hear calls repeated two or three times, each from a different location. It depends on where the call is.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
It appears that Sacramento Regional Fire/EMS Communications Center (SRFECC) is aware of the transmitter hanging at the end of voice dispatches. It was mentioned in their most recent board meeting under their projects update:

1627169151141.png

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they are also aware at how severly UNDERMODULATED their VHF channels are (at least the automated voice on their two dispatch frequencies).

Status
Not open for further replies.