Sac Metro Fire dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD6HRI

When I monitor Sac Metro Fire sometimes I hear a dispach term used that stumps me. I dont know how it's spelled, but I will do my best phonetically...."sync-ahh-be". Anybody know or have a clue? I would like to know because it seem to be a frequent term used when units are dispached and seems medical in nature. Thanks fellas!

NWtoSFO

Had a paramedic from Sac City Fire that he ran a ton of syncope calls to the tent city every shift. All they wanted was to go to the hospital. I wonder what they could get at the hospital that they couldn't get being homeless?!? Hmmm?

KD6HRI

Well thanks for the linky that explained the question posed. I agree that if an agency get saddled with a fair amount of these calls it could sap their budgets and tie up or delay valuable resources to respond to more important calls. Thanks again for your help!

KD6HRI

I'm a Paramedic with Sac Metro. We use the term to describe when someone passes out or nearly passes out.

Hey thanks for what you do for Sac Metro Fire! I am a proud member of Sac Metro Fire CERT and its a pleasure to serve Metro Fire and our community. I appreciate your help with my question. Figured after some of the training I have been through I would have known, but didn't....

BlueZebra

Yeah .. it amazes me how many tax dollars are spent responding to calls for what amounts to a headache. Check the definition here

It isn't a headache, is fainting, which could be caused by heart problems, blood pressure problems, stroke, diabetes and a number of other things.

You have to remember people dialing 911 can be incredibly poor reporters of what is actually going on. "Fainting" usually implies a brief loss of conciousness, but I have seen people totally unresponsive when described as "fainted".

Last edited:

akulahawk

Syncope is just a term for fainting. It implies a loss of consciousness. Near-syncope is when the person has almost lost consciousness. There are a lot of causes of syncope, some of them can be life threatening. The challenge is to determine what is causing the symptom of syncope.

I am also a paramedic.

kma371

QRT
I like the term DFO myself... but it sure doesn't sound all that good if a dispatcher says it over the radio.

I almost got in trouble for that once. But the call taker put it in there so that's how I read it :)

akulahawk

I almost got in trouble for that once. But the call taker put it in there so that's how I read it :)
At least that way you have someone to blame... :D

Off the radio? I haven't been in the field in quite a while, but I still use the term with some regularity... like when I hear "syncope."

akulahawk

Yep! It's one of those terms that not too many people use outside of certain contexts. It's a great term!

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Don't forget "Hamburger Helper", "Circling the Drain" and the ever popular "DRT"

Status
Not open for further replies.