Sacramento/CHP Newbie Scanner Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, great website, just reading up on everything. Could anyone recommend a good starting scanner for Sacramento (Folsom), and CHP, is there anything specific I should be looking for? Trunking? Digital? ... I was sort of looking at PRO-83/99

Thanks!

Sac916

CommunistFries said:
Hi all, great website, just reading up on everything. Could anyone recommend a good starting scanner for Sacramento (Folsom), and CHP, is there anything specific I should be looking for? Trunking? Digital? ... I was sort of looking at PRO-83/99

Thanks!

If you want to hear your local law enforcement agency you'll need a Trunking scanner.
In Sacramento, 99% of the Public Safety, fire and government agencies use a regional radio communications system. Folsom PD and Fire Department are users of this system.

Currently this regional radio system is a hybrid analog/digital system. Eventually it will become full digital. At this time there are very few users of the radio system that utilize the digital capability. But if you're looking down the road, it's probably best to purchase a digital trunking scanner.

There are plenty of other things that you can monitor that do not require a Trunking scanner. State Government agencies such as CHP, CDF and State Parks. Surrounding other counties such as El Dorado, Placer, Amador, Yolo, Yuba, Sutter, Solano, and San Joaquin.

My suggestion is a long term investment. Invest in a scanner that won't become obsolete for your particular needs. The biggest hurdle is cost.

The Pro-83 and 99 are NOT trunking scanners and you'll quickly find your 200 or 500 channels being filled up.

In order of strongest recommendation.

1. Uniden BC-396T - DIGITAL trunking scanner ( $530 )
2. Uniden BC-246T - non digital trunking scanner ( $220 )
3. Uniden BC-330T - non digital trunking scanner ( $280 )

4. Radio Shack Pro-96 - DIGITAL trunking scanner ( $500 )
5. Radio Shack Pro-97 - non digital trunking scanner ( $150 )

Here is a link to some Sacramento area Public Safety and Government entities and their frequencies.

http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&mid=11

Here is a link to the new Trunked Radio system that provides extensive service to Sacramento, including the City of Folsom. This system is going through upgrades, so be sure to check this like often.

http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=4499

RolnCode3

*EDIT* Ant beat me to the punch.

I'd take the Pro-96 and move it way up the list, to even with the 396. You can get used ones (and sometimes new) for around 300 bucks.

Sac916

RolnCode3 said:
*EDIT* Ant beat me to the punch.

I'd take the Pro-96 and move it way up the list, to even with the 396. You can get used ones (and sometimes new) for around 300 bucks.

To be fair, that's probably a better line up. Move the Pro-96 up the list.
I'm just a Uniden guy.

The whole Radio Shack and Uniden debate will never end,
but that's a whole different story.

Having owned dozens of Uniden ( the latest being 396T) and Radio Shack Scanners ( latest being Pro-97 ) I prefer Unidens menu, programming and trunking features. Enough of that though.

CommunistFries said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies.

How soon is soon for digital? That's a pretty big price difference!

Also, could you recommend any retail outlets that carry Uniden?

Digital is hear [ pun intended ] now.
There are a couple users that utilize the digital capability with several more
users on the way. It will be a slow transition, especially for the larger agencies like
Regional Fire, Sac Sheriff and Sac Police. I wish I could give you a timeline, but it's not realistic. A year? Two years? Three More? What I can tell you, is that digital is available and being used.

RolnCode3

CommunistFries said:
Those are very good antennas. I have 2 of them, and love them. You will read MANY posts on here about them, and most people like them for 800.

Don't forget, the Pro-97 is trunking, but NOT digital. I own two Pro-2055s (mobile version of the Pro-97) and love them, but they're going to be slated to conventional and outside trunking systems when the Sac County system rolls out more digital talkgroups (I also have a Pro-96 and -2096 for digital).

I gave no idea where you can buy scanners locally (other than Radioshack which doesn't carry Uniden). However, http://www.bearcatscanner.com is a Sacramento business, although they only do online/phone orders.

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Last edited:

Sac916

CommunistFries said:
Thanks for all the information guys!

*scratches head*
I'm having some trouble finding Folsom PD/FD in the database...

Folsom just started using the new Talk Groups this week.

Now you got em thanks to RolnCode3

To listen to specific talk groups, I only add the control frequency and then the Group IDs (on the right side?)? Then i'm able to scan through those? CFs being, 868.66250 868.90000

Sorry for all the elementry questions, you guys are lots of help!

RolnCode3

CommunistFries said:
To listen to specific talk groups, I only add the control frequency and then the Group IDs (on the right side?)? Then i'm able to scan through those? CFs being, 868.66250 868.90000

Sorry for all the elementry questions, you guys are lots of help!
Depends on your scanner. As long as your scanner does "Control Channel Only" trunking, then yes, you only need the control channel...otherwise, check your owner's manual and it should tell you.

After trying the Pro-97 out for a day, just starting to get a hang of the controls/Pro97, i'm going to return it to RadioShack and save a little longer for a full digital unit... taking your guys' advice in preparing for the long-term. Thanks!

Sac916

CommunistFries said:
After trying the Pro-97 out for a day, just starting to get a hang of the controls/Pro97, i'm going to return it to RadioShack and save a little longer for a full digital unit... taking your guys' advice in preparing for the long-term. Thanks!

you can still get a super cheap scanner just to listen to area conventional freqs - something to satisfy your hunger and get a feel of whats around you.

emptech

bearcatscanner.com sales - sacramento

You are correct, it is an "on-line" sales company. I was in contact with them by e-mail and they offered to meet me in Sac and actually hand a radio over to me, in person. Wonder if it was off the record? I asked them if I could get around the shipping if I picked up the radio. I wish I had bought my unit from them instead of mailorder, just like to buy local. I ended up buying mail order because it took too long to get an e-mail back from the local company.

Jim

RolnCode3 said:
I gave no idea where you can buy scanners locally (other than Radioshack which doesn't carry Uniden). However, http://www.bearcatscanner.com is a Sacramento business, although they only do online/phone orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.