Sacramento County Fire Map Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what map book and/or software Sacramento county & city fire agencies dispatched by Sacramento Regional Fire/EMS Dispatch Center (SRFECC) use? I assumed it would be Thomas Guide since many other agencies use that but the pages don't match up to what is dispatched. Is this a proprietary system they use or do they just use a different map book/system?

Sac916

For starters, if anybody is still using Thomas Brothers, they are using outdated map books. They no longer publish current and traditional hard copies. In landlocked areas with little change - this is no big deal. But for areas like Sac County, they're worthless.

Fire does not use Thomas Brothers - they use a highly customized and very "large" and comprehensive mapping system. MANY hard copy binders are need for each area/district. Fire department needs are much different than law and the maps must be easier to read - fire hydrant, gas, electrical access etc

The last fire map book I saw was for Citrus Heights and it was huge. Each page only covered a couple streets. Today, I'm sure a lot of the "field" map books are digital. That's just a guess though.

Today a lot of mapping systems are purely digital - Their foundation is ESRI and entities such as SACOG and Pages - Welcome to Sacramento County GIS help with coordination and dissemination of data. A lot of this is public information.

Obviously digital maps are highly customized - but they are also very easy to share and easy to keep updated. Some mapping systems even utilize API from third party entities - Traffic / Weather / GPS

cdlaubinger

The county as a whole has a map that starts up in county and works it way down left to right. That is the map page given out with each dispatch. Each station and unit has the map available to them. Most commonly used though is a digital read on a MDC due to plot function when the call comes in. There are times when they don't work though, or in old reserve units that don't have the MDC in them and we resort to the map. On the printer message when the call comes in we see the county map page, thomas brothers, and legal.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I ended up e-mailing fire dispatch and they sent me a KML file with the map pages that I imported into Google Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.