Sacramento P25 system

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Yolo County P25 Migration Status

From the Yolo Emergency Communications Agency (YECA) board meeting today, a staff report suggests the following:

• The Davis SRRCS installation project is estimated to be complete in December; at that time, non-public safety users will test out the P25 system, and at a later point UCD Police & Fire will transition over. Unknown what the plan is for the City of Davis, as they are not dispatched by YECA.
  • West Sacramento Fire will transition to the P25 system, estimated in December.
  • West Sacramento Police will transition to the system, estimated in February.
My assumption is Sacramento County-area law enforcement and fire agencies will transition around the same time, or soon after.

Attachments

• UCDWSP25Migration.jpg
    UCDWSP25Migration.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 403

crucialcolin

Yeah it will be interesting to see how quickly the transition for area law enforcement and fire agencies goes. I'm most curious about Citrus Heights since its closest to me.

Think I incorrectly posted that the SSRCS requires two RTL-SDR sticks due to bandwidth limitations. While that may apply to the old Type II SmartZone system it seems to be working with SDRTrunk on P25.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I work for AMR in Yolo County. They have 800MHz radios for West Sacramento Fire and Davis/UCD, which have been sent away for reprogramming. None of the supervisors seemed to understand why they were getting reprogrammed. They have some nicer loaner radios (APX 6000 vs our XTS1500) in the meantime, but I'm pretty sure it is so they can be P25 ready when they make the switch.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
As of tonight, the following agencies are talking on the P25 system with their dispatch consoles.

Citrus Heights Police - 9180001, 9180003, 9180004
Sacramento Police - 9180256, 9180259, 9180261, 9180262
Sacramento Sheriff - 9180551, 9180553, 9180559

Nothing changes with the above agencies on their mobile/portables using the new system, still on the SmartZone system, simulcasting to P25.

It appears Galt Police is mixed right now, most radios still on SmartZone, but some of the what I'm guessing are their portable radios are talking on the P25 system.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
As of today, it appears that Elk Grove PD, Folsom PD and West Sac PD/FD have switched their dispatch consoles to the P25 talkgroups as well.

Note: Folsom PD has not had any field radios join the P25 talkgroup, so I can't figure out the console radio IDs; I can only tell they consoles are talking on P25 because the SmartZone system shows their radio ID as 65520.

So, current agencies talking on the P25 talkgroups via their consoles (not the field radios):

Citrus Heights PD - 91800xx
Elk Grove PD - 91801xx
Folsom PD -
Sacramento PD - 91802xx
Sacramento County SD - 91805xx
West Sacramento PD/FD (via Yolo County Dispatch) - 91806xx

I'm sure once all the consoles are switched over, it's only a matter of time before the field units are? Maybe just wishful thinking.

kma371

QRT
As of today, it appears that Elk Grove PD, Folsom PD and West Sac PD/FD have switched their dispatch consoles to the P25 talkgroups as well.

Note: Folsom PD has not had any field radios join the P25 talkgroup, so I can't figure out the console radio IDs; I can only tell they consoles are talking on P25 because the SmartZone system shows their radio ID as 65520.

So, current agencies talking on the P25 talkgroups via their consoles (not the field radios):

Citrus Heights PD - 91800xx
Elk Grove PD - 91801xx
Folsom PD -
Sacramento PD - 91802xx
Sacramento County SD - 91805xx
West Sacramento PD/FD (via Yolo County Dispatch) - 91806xx

I'm sure once all the consoles are switched over, it's only a matter of time before the field units are? Maybe just wishful thinking.

Can you please make a submission for me of which agencies made switch over for consoles so I can update the DB? It will remind me to update. Thanks.

crucialcolin

Have they changed their control channel? I just fired up SDRTrunk but I'm not hearing any traffic on P25 anymore. *edit looks like that's what happened went from 853.450 to 853.875 MHZ.

At any rate I'm getting partial and missing transmissions in SDRTrunk. Not sure if that's a result of only having one SDR stick or my reception issue from my location in Roseville as the SRRCS is weak here on the analog side.

Last edited:

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
As of yesterday (Thursday), Galt PD, Airport Dispatch, Regional Transit and Sac County 311 have moved their dispatch consoles to the P25 system.

Note 1: Except for the Sheriff deputies at the airport, all airport radios including the fire department are now on P25, so except for a rogue radio on the SmartZone airport talkgroups, all airport-related traffic will be over the P25 talkgroups/system (exception being the Sheriff deputies, which are on SD 6).

Note 2: Most if not all of Galt PD is on the P25 talkgroups/system now. Except when there's radios monitoring the SmartZone Galt PD talkgroups, you will not hear any traffic on the SmartZone side.

I'm updating the radio ID ranges in the Wiki as the system comes online: https://wiki.radioreference.com/ind...cations_System_(SRRCS)_P25_Radio_and_User_IDs

That leaves the following agencies who still need to move their consoles over to the P25 talkgroups:

Regional Fire Dispatch

And these agencies, eventually:
Davis Police (they'll be joining SRRCS)
UC Davis Police (they'll be joining SRRCS)

And these agencies if they have consoles?
Sac City 311
Los Rios District PD
Elk Grove District PD
Twin Rivers District PD

Last edited:

Emoney250

site frequencies

Are the TWO sites listed in the RRDB updated as far as frequencies? Anyone down there who listens to this system often should know if they get all the conversation.

Thank You.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
Are the TWO sites listed in the RRDB updated as far as frequencies? Anyone down there who listens to this system often should know if they get all the conversation.

Thank You.

Yes they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sacscan

Is the Twitchell Island site broadcasting? I've never been able to pick it up from midtown Sacramento. If it can't be picked up here then I'll remove that site from my base scanners.

kma371

QRT
Is the Twitchell Island site broadcasting? I've never been able to pick it up from midtown Sacramento. If it can't be picked up here then I'll remove that site from my base scanners.

Yes it broadcasts, but I assume it's coverage its coverage is for South county and the Delta only

rob916

I haven't purchased a new scanner to monitor the P25 system yet however I had a question. Are any of the dispatch channels encrypted or are we able to monitor the SSD dispatch channels just fine?

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
I haven't purchased a new scanner to monitor the P25 system yet however I had a question. Are any of the dispatch channels encrypted or are we able to monitor the SSD dispatch channels just fine?
SSD and everyone else is in the clear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to the SRRCS P25 system for a little while, having most talkgroups being locked out. I've noticed activity on Talkgroup 0005. Looking at the KNOWN talkgroups from the database, I don't see ANY talkgroups less than 1000. Initially, it sounded like it was parking related, but later I heard "Medic 6-5" and someone asking for a long-leg splint, so now I'm thinking a medical channel.

Last edited by a moderator: