Sacramento P25 system

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
It's the new SMF Landside Operations channel for the International Airport. The AIROPS Airport Operations channel is now used as SMF Airside Operations.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to the SRRCS P25 system for a little while, having most talkgroups being locked out. I've noticed activity on Talkgroup 0005. Looking at the KNOWN talkgroups from the database, I don't see ANY talkgroups less than 1000. Initially, it sounded like it was parking related, but later I heard "Medic 6-5" and someone asking for a long-leg splint, so now I'm thinking a medical channel.

I've also heard traffic on talkgrooup "0005" that was clearly at SMF, as they were talking about someone outside Terminal A near United Airlines.

I then started hearing traffic on "0003" that was anything BUT professional... Sounded like some security officers but as I said, unprofessional.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
I've also heard traffic on talkgrooup "0005" that was clearly at SMF, as they were talking about someone outside Terminal A near United Airlines.

I then started hearing traffic on "0003" that was anything BUT professional... Sounded like some security officers but as I said, unprofessional.

TG 3 is what TG 48 is on the SmartZone system, the Automated People Mover Maintenance channel.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
I've submitted the above referenced talk groups as well as some other talk groups that are active.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I've submitted the above referenced talk groups as well as some other talk groups that are active.

Thanks. I'm kind of curious as to the Yolo County status. Last week, I saw activity from West Sacramento Police, but nothing yesterday. I had it up much of the day and never once saw/heard any activity. I've already noticed traffic today. I'm guessing it is a simulcast and they are doing testing. Any updates on either the City of Davis or UC Davis?

sacscan

I was hoping that the transit traffic bleedover issue that plagues the analog SRRCS system (at least on Uniden scanners) would be eliminated with P25, but I don't think it is. I sometimes hear what sounds like landscaping crews on C PRB FIELD2, which is a county probation tac channel.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
I was hoping that the transit traffic bleedover issue that plagues the analog SRRCS system (at least on Uniden scanners) would be eliminated with P25, but I don't think it is. I sometimes hear what sounds like landscaping crews on C PRB FIELD2, which is a county probation tac channel.
It's the Probation Adult or Juvenile Work Project team who happens to be doing landscaping and garbage pickup on the roadways or at their facilities.

I'm not sure why they're using FIELD2 and not the JWP channel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I found another unknown talkgroup today... talkgroup "157". I noticed that radios "9060641" and "9060639" were talking to each other on talkgroup 157. I further noticed that "9060639" had also been talking on talkgroup "3209" which is listed as "C PRB YDF2" or "Probation - Youth Detention Facility 2". The conversation on talkgroup 157 was about someone leaving behind a soldering iron. I'm not sure how a soldering iron would be related to the Youth Detention Facility, but wondering if anyone knew what this talkgroup. I lockout known talkgroups I don't care about and it is a puzzle until I know what the talkgroup is for. Can anyone enlighten me?

kma371

QRT
I think right now since the system is getting built out, it's anyone's guess what/who it could be. Just have to keep notes and keep logging activity to get a better idea.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
TG 157 is TG 2512 on the SmartZone system. It's labeled as Radio Techs, but I think it's the general "DTech" channel for the Sacramento County Department of Technology (DTech). They talk about the radios, computers for different county departments, the different computer networks, alarms, etc. I have it labeled in my programming under Sacramento Co Services as "Technology Department".

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
For the most part, everything in the SmartZone (SZ) system was brought over to the P25 system. In theory, all of the SmartZone system database talkgroups should be copied over to the P25 system database.

All you need to do is divide the SmartZone talkgroup number by 16 to get the P25 talkgroup number. The HEX values are the same. (In reverse, to get the SmartZone talk group from the P25 talk group, multiple the P25 talk group number by 16.)

I have not logged any "new" talk groups on the P25 system except for a couple of Sacramento Co Airport channels, which have been added. There are some talk groups on both systems that exist and are known to some but aren't in the database.

For example, Citrus Heights has some digital and digital-encrypted talk groups (on the SmartZone system, converted over to the P25 system) that are used by their SWAT team members, but the last time I heard them used was over a year ago.

We *should* be seeing some new talk groups soon for the Yolo County agencies coming onto the system.

Right now they seem to be following the SmartZone talk group scheme, meaning starting at HEX 001 (SZ 16/ P25 1) and going up to HEX FFD (SZ 65488 / P25 4093). This means only odd numbered talk groups are used. I'm sure once the transition is over, we will eventually see new talk groups past 4093 and also using the even number talk groups that are currently not able to be used.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
I have an easy reference for the conversion of talk groups, and this is actually how I've programmed my scanners via Sentinel (copy and paste the columns in their respective areas within Sentinel). I update this as new talk groups come up or are changed.

The MOT column is the SmartZone talk group number; the P25 column is the P25 talk group number, the HEX column is the shared HEX talk group number, and the Description and Agency columns are self-explanatory.

SRRCS Talkgroups

picscan

Premium Subscriber
The only Sac Metro Fire I can get on Phase 1 is CMD A2, everything else is on Smartzone?

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
The only Sac Metro Fire I can get on Phase 1 is CMD A2, everything else is on Smartzone?

If you’re hearing any talk group on the P25 system, it’s because there’s a P25 radio listening to that talk group.

The only fire agencies in Sacramento County using the P25 radio system full-time are the following:

- Isleton Fire Department
- River Delta Fire Protection District
- Sacramento County Airport System Fire Department

All other fire agencies are on the SmartZone system, and their traffic is simulcasted on the P25 system when the talk group is active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Why am I hearing SMF airport security, seems to be some kind of lost and found area on P25 Roseville PD investigations channel? (9069107) (9069114) (9069113) (9069031). I double checked everything. Could Roseville be doing contracting with the airport?

EDIT. Found this, they have the same hex/dec numbers and frequency of Roseville PD investigations?

5 005 DAIR SMF LandsideSMF Landside Operations

3 003 DAIR SMF PM MaintSMF People Mover Maintenance

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag DescriptionTag
1 001 DRsvl PD Patrol 1 Patrol Law Dispatch

3. 003 DRsvl PD Patrol 2

5 005 DRsvl PD investigations

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Why am I hearing SMF airport security, seems to be some kind of lost and found area on P25 Roseville PD investigations channel? (9069107) (9069114) (9069113) (9069031). I double checked everything. Could Roseville be doing contracting with the airport?

EDIT. Found this, they have the same hex/dec numbers and frequency of Roseville PD investigations?

5 005 DAIR SMF LandsideSMF Landside Operations

3 003 DAIR SMF PM MaintSMF People Mover Maintenance

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag DescriptionTag
1 001 DRsvl PD Patrol 1 Patrol Law Dispatch

3. 003 DRsvl PD Patrol 2

5 005 DRsvl PD investigations

Sounds like you have some freqs mixed up and are listening to the wrong system.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I believe you may be right. I have an 852. where it should be an 853. I think. Do I need all the alternates or just 1?