Sacramento Roll Call!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbcue

Anybody from around the Sacramento area? I just moved out here and it is freaking hot.

Anything interesting to listen to? I was listening to the scanner yesterday and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Any hints as to the radio protocol there for police/fire? What's with the Alpha and Bravo channels?

Thanks!

Sac916

Several folks from Sac area on this forum.

Which systems, agencies, and/or departments are you (trying) to monitor? What kind of scanner(s) do you use?

Do a search in this California forum for the word "sacramento" and you'll get a ton of results covering a wide range of topics.

-Ant-

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento & beyond

Anybody from around the Sacramento area? I just moved out here and it is freaking hot.
Welcome! While Sacramento usually has some very HOT days every year, I feel the weather here this year has been very weird. First we had what seemed like endless days of wind, then the heat, and we've also got smoke from all the fires hanging around here. Ironically, the smoke blocks a lot of sun and has kept it cooler on some days.

Anything interesting to listen to?
LOL! I listen to about a 100 mile radius of fire and non-LE channels. I listen to LE channels in my immediate area until late at night when things are quiet. Most of Sacramento's traffic is on the Sacramento TRS; which includes the cities of Sacramento, West Sacramento, Citrus Heights, Folsom, Elk Grove and the Sheriff. Roseville is in a different county and has their own TRS. There is a ton of conventional channels to listen to as well, depending on your exact location and interests.

I was listening to the scanner yesterday and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Any hints as to the radio protocol there for police/fire? What's with the Alpha and Bravo channels?
Fire channels on the Sacramento TRS are divided into 4 groups of channels. The "A" or Alpha group is used by Sac Metro Fire (county), and the "B" or Bravo channels are used by the city of Sacramento.

There's a lot of things to know about listening here; things like "MDT" or "MCT" or the acronyms they use for hospitals and major streets. It can all seem overwhelming to a newbie. Where in the county are you? Do you have interests beyond listening to police & fire? If so, what?

RolnCode3

Welcome to Sac.

Agreed on this being a strange weather year. Almost no rain during the winter. Then the fires. Now we've got smoke for weeks on end it seems. Hasn't been too hot, yet. This week is the worst so far.

As for monitoring, there's tons. Just depends on your interests and what equipment you have. If you're into Fire and LE, it'll keep you busy 24/7 no problem.

Gbcue

I'm by Arco Arena, the Natomas area. I have interest in listening to any other things besides LE and fire, but where I'm from, that's the only thing to listen to.

I've just got a Uniden BCT246T and a ham radio, since I am licensed.

I was listening to it the other morning and they had a foot pursuit with K-9 units and the air unit too!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It seems like there are a lot of attempted vehicle stops that end in a foot pursuit, perimiter, etc these days. This area is very busy when it comes to scanner traffic.

I keep one scanner on the Sacramento TRS, with a 2nd one handy if needed to lock onto some specific talkgroup. I use another scanner for the conventional stuff, which I keep it to fire & CHP during the day.

Then sometimes I'll "troll" with another scanner to see what else I can pick up. I keep notes of what I find, and use the resources here at RR to try and identify what I've found. It's a full time passtime just searching the airwaves.

You are fairly close to the airport, and there is all that radio traffic to monitor too.

ssd

i like to listen to u.p. on aar 51 160.875 UP Dispatcher 57 Roseville to Sacramento or 160.800 UP Dispatcher 62 Martinez Sub, Sacramento to Oakland,161.310 UP Dispatcher 64 Valley Line, Lincoln to Chico. there good to listen too. no pl tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.