Sacramento Sheriff / city

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost all of the Sacramento sheriff and police / Folsom / elk grove reception I have been downloading the new frequencies from Uniden for weeks now and still nothing I think they may have re-banded but I have now idea to what.

If anyone can talk me through this that would be great not sure how to manually put in frequencies

I have a uniden bcd436hp Im totally lost

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
All of the groups that you just listed moved over to the the SRRCS P25 Digital system, and off of the Analog Motorola SmartZone 2 system in the last month, which coincides with you not being able to hear.

Are you using Sentinel or another application to input the RR database?

Ok so I looked at the frequencies in radio reference and in sentinel software they seem to be the same also I need to be a paid subscriber to download the RedioReference freqs.
I don't mind but will this work or is it just to get more paid subscrivers

ScanningHertz

Ok so I looked at the frequencies in radio reference and in sentinel software they seem to be the same also I need to be a paid subscriber to download the RedioReference freqs.
I don't mind but will this work or is it just to get more paid subscrivers

You only need the Control Channels and the Alternate Control Channels.
There could be other settings issues, such as Band Plan.

You can hand program it, but you have to be correct, otherwise you'll be troubleshooting. The download will work without edits. Plus you can update other sites with no issues.

I'm not exactly sure what to do with all of the downloads I think there's four which ones do I want and how do I download them into the software after I get them off the site

so i am now a subscriber but the software wants to import an hpe file but the down loads are csv files
I am so confused

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Not to discount or convoluate @ScanningHertz and the efforts to help, have you ever used Sentinel to upgrade the Home Patrol Database on the microSD card on the scanner? Not only will this help the zip code function a little with fresh information, you can use Sentinel with refreshed information that can help baseline your favorites list. The Home Patrol Database information is actually from Radio Reference and you don't need a Radio Reference membership (but membership has its perks!) when you use Sentinel.

Following @ScanningHertz's instructions, you will install the Sentinel program on your computer. The Sentinel program can help you change settings and create lists that you would want to hear. Here's a "Easier to read BCDX36HO Sentinel Software" guide.

This YouTube video from Bearcat Warehouse helps does a pretty good job of explaining the Sentinel Software, too.

ScanningHertz

Download directly from the Sentinel software.

Click USA > Sacramento > County Systems > SRRCS P25 >

Right Click > Append to Favs List

Create a New Favorites List or use existing

Then save to your scanner using the Sentinel tools

Well I think im confusing everyone the sentinel software will not work I tried using the zip option also on the Sacramento setup and nothing so Im trying to import the radioReference software

Ok I just tried the above after doing it 15 times over the last few weeks and Im getting something now not sure what changed (me) I will monitor and post

How do I download and install the RadioReference data into the scanner

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Ok I just tried the above after doing it 15 times over the last few weeks and Im getting something now not sure what changed (me) I will monitor and post

How do I download and install the RadioReference data into the scanner

The information you are seeing in Sentinel is already from Radio Reference. But before you do that, make sure that you have the latest database. If you look on the lower left hand corner of Sentinel, it will say "Database Version: [Date]". It should say "Database Version: 07/05/2020." This is currently the latest version as Sentinel gets updates from Radio Reference once a week. If it's not showing a recent date, click on "Update" and then "Update Master Database(HPDB)". This will update that database, and also when you write to the scanner, update the database on the scanner for the Zip Code search function.

Valjean

Premium Subscriber
Download directly from the Sentinel software.
Click USA > Sacramento > County Systems > SRRCS P25 >
Right Click > Append to Favs List
Create a New Favorites List or use existing
Then save to your scanner using the Sentinel tools

Hi, new member here, Elk Grove area. Not new to scanners, but haven’t used one since Sac County switched to the digital system. I’ve had scanners periodically over the last several decades, but I’m a casual user. My knowledge is limited compared to what I estimate to be the average hereabouts.

I have a new BCD436HP and I’m running into problems similar to what the OP described. I’ve done everything described above, but the results have been substandard. As briefly as possible, I’ll outline the issues and questions, in no particular order.

1. The simulcasts — countywide, Twitchell Island, Davis... do they have to be appended to the favorites list too?

2. I get very few transmissions on the P25 system. I’m familiar with the relative abundance of transmissions of the LE agencies — EGPD, Sac PD, SSD, etc — from previous monitoring on the old system and from apps like Five-O Scanner Pro. I’m getting about 5% of that level.

3. When I do get a transmission, it’s often clipped it dead air. When I do get audio, it has a strange quality. Hard to comprehend. NOT encrypted, just somewhat garbled. Almost like an echo sometimes. More noticeable on male voices than female. Pitch is possibly a variable.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thank you,
Valjean

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Hi, new member here, Elk Grove area. Not new to scanners, but haven’t used one since Sac County switched to the digital system. I’ve had scanners periodically over the last several decades, but I’m a casual user. My knowledge is limited compared to what I estimate to be the average hereabouts.

I have a new BCD436HP and I’m running into problems similar to what the OP described. I’ve done everything described above, but the results have been substandard. As briefly as possible, I’ll outline the issues and questions, in no particular order.

1. The simulcasts — countywide, Twitchell Island, Davis... do they have to be appended to the favorites list too?

2. I get very few transmissions on the P25 system. I’m familiar with the relative abundance of transmissions of the LE agencies — EGPD, Sac PD, SSD, etc — from previous monitoring on the old system and from apps like Five-O Scanner Pro. I’m getting about 5% of that level.

3. When I do get a transmission, it’s often clipped it dead air. When I do get audio, it has a strange quality. Hard to comprehend. NOT encrypted, just somewhat garbled. Almost like an echo sometimes. More noticeable on male voices than female. Pitch is possibly a variable.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thank you,
Valjean

1) Countywide Simulcast should be more than sufficient. You can add the additional sites if you travel out to that area, but more often than not its not needed. I added them, but the sites are avoided.

2) and 3) I don't want to rush towards "you are experiencing a Simulcasting" but how far are you in the general vicinity of Elk Grove, specifically 9250 Bond Road [Countywide Simulcast Site for EG]? When I used to use my BCD436HP, I noticed two things. When I was at Best Buy in Elk Grove, it was reasonably chatty on the BCD436HP. When I was at Franklin and EGB driving, it was subpar to no traffic with the BCD436HP. I assume that because I was in-between two sites (Sac City Water Tower and Bond Road sites). The SDS100 however catches traffic throughout Sac County.

Valjean

Premium Subscriber
Farther west of Bond and Waterman than Best Buy, but not that much farther.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Farther west of Bond and Waterman than Best Buy, but not that much farther.

First things first, do you have the latest Home Patrol Database, and the latest firmware?

Not to make things super complicated, but you might need to adjust the P25 Audio Decode Threshold as described in this RR Wiki Article. This is not a 100% cure for Simulcasting, but it does help.

Displayed P25 & LNK explained

If the P25 audio is choppy, or switches between LNK and P25 very quickly, you could try to set the P25 threshold to DEFAULT (in non-BCx36HP models) with allows for much slower response adjustments. This can also happen if you are in the fringes of the coverage of a P25 system, and the Control & Voice Channels are not being received and decoded cleanly, except on a Moto Type II, Phase I and II, LNK should show up at end of transmission - when a signal is being transmitted after the voiced audio with data or shortly after "End Code" is detected (before a user set "Delay" has expired), and/or shortly afterward LNK shows when the scanner returns to the same channel that the user Delay just expired on, but is still receiving End Code/Delay info from the System (which may have it's own delay by the System Admin).

It might be awhile, but I can peruse by that area and park my car with both my SDS100 and the BCD436HP to see if I can confirm a simulcast issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.