Sad Day in NC Radioland

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

I just came across an obit for Chris Linker, who at one time was the City of Concord Communications / Radio System manager. He had been in declining health for sometime. It had been a while since we talked & came across the obit on Facebook where someone else had posted it. I had the pleasure of working with Chris on a few projects, as well as his friendship when he would venture up to the Troop E Radio Shop while I worked there as an installer in the early 2000's. If you're the praying type please send up a few for his family. Link attached & obit article copied and pasted below:

Obituary for Christopher Linker

Christopher Mark Linker
February 23, 1961 - May 16, 2014

Christopher Mark Linker, 53, of Concord passed away on Friday, May 16, 2014 at Tucker Hospice House surrounded by family. The family will receive friends Saturday, May 17, 2014 from 2-5pm at Wilkinson Funeral Home on Branchview Drive in Concord. The funeral service will be held Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 2pm at Roberta United Methodist Church on Cochran Road in Concord, with Pastors David Cox and Roger Hudson officiating. Chris was born in Gastonia, NC on February 23, 1961. He attended Ashbrook High School. Chris was retired from the City of Concord as the Emergency Communications Director. He is a Reserve Police Officer with the City of Concord, and a former officer of the Towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Stanfield, Locust and Oakboro. He was a member of Roberta United Methodist Church. Active within his community, he held many positions throughout his career within the following organizations; Civil Air Patrol, Red Cross, Cabarrus County Amateur Radio Society, Rowan County Shrine Club, Masonic Lodge #720, NC Association of Public Safety Communications Officials, Cabarrus County Law Enforcement Association, Gaston and Cabarrus County Police Explorer Posts, Winecoff Volunteer Fire Department, Cabarrus Rescue Squad, Charlotte and Gaston Lifesaving Crews. He is survived by his wife, Lisa Hudson Linker. Other survivors include his father, Daniel Howard Linker, Jr and stepmother, Jeddie of Greensboro, his brother, Dan Linker III and wife, Michelle of Clayton NC, his sister, Kathy and her husband, George of Gastonia, his Godson, Bryan Cook of Concord, mother-in-law, Shirley M. Hudson and numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his mother, Imogene Walker Linker. In lieu of flowers the family requests memorials be made to Roberta United Methodist Church, building fund 3925 Cochran Road, SW, Concord, NC 28025.

SD70MAC

Very sad to hear,gone too soon...... I just got a call about this a few hours ago from a friend that is going to the funeral.

yardbird

I just got back.

It was a very good funeral. The turn-out was far beyond expectations.

They had the bag pipes and bugle playing.

They also done a 21 gun salute too.

Chris had a lot of friends.

He had so many that they had to do a closed circuit broadcast because there wasn't enough room in the sanctuary.

They had overflow in the life center of the church.

I don't believe there was one empty parking space on the whole church property.

David

KM4WLV

I just got back.

It was a very good funeral. The turn-out was far beyond expectations.

They had the bag pipes and bugle playing.

They also done a 21 gun salute too.

Chris had a lot of friends.

He had so many that they had to do a closed circuit broadcast because there wasn't enough room in the sanctuary.

They had overflow in the life center of the church.

I don't believe there was one empty parking space on the whole church property.

David

You're right David, he was quite the guy. Very involved in the community. Had the spirit of a lion and the heart of a teddy bear. I got to work with him on a few projects and learned a lot about radio from him.

If I ever had something I couldn't figure out I knew all I had to do was pick up the phone or drop an email and he would go over and beyond to help where he could.

Back in the mid 2000's I had a personal owned STX821 on the Rowan system while I was with Granite Quarry FD. Our department issued radios had ID's and all the county fire talkgroup's for Cabarrus County in them but personal radios didn't qualify to get roamer ID's through Rowan Communications (which was the agency that managed the personal owned radio program). A quick phone call to Chris and a week later I had 4 zones worth of TG's for Cabarrus County / Concord City / Kannapolis City.

He'll surely be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.