Safe T and BC296 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpopski

I know this has probably been ask before but here goes.
I'm trying to monitor the Indiana Safe T system in St.Joseph County (South Bend In. I would appreciate it if some one could give me the step by step instructions to set up this scanner for this purpose.
I've programmed in the control channel frequency, set the plan to 4 apco 25 type2 800 mhz. All I ever get is a very raspy sound on that frequency. The scanner will scan and I can get Mishawaka agencies but no Indiana talk groups.
I'm lost and need help.

JacobInIndy

I know this has probably been ask before but here goes.
I'm trying to monitor the Indiana Safe T system in St.Joseph County (South Bend In. I would appreciate it if some one could give me the step by step instructions to set up this scanner for this purpose.
I've programmed in the control channel frequency, set the plan to 4 apco 25 type2 800 mhz. All I ever get is a very raspy sound on that frequency. The scanner will scan and I can get Mishawaka agencies but no Indiana talk groups.
I'm lost and need help.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Safe-T doesn't need a plan on the control channel only mode.

This is from memory, so here goes...

Select your bank.
Select trunking to be ON
Select trunking type to be Apco P25 800mHz
Select the channel in the bank and enter in the control channel
No need for an alpha tag
Go to Control channel Only in menu and select ON, no plan.

That should be it. You will only be able to search the tower with this setup. In order to scan you will need to enter and store talk group IDs.

Chaser945

Lost also

Having a hard time programming it too there has got to be an easy way... Have the freq from the data base and talk group id's from the DB but no luck...

Chaser945

I am using the software that came with the scanner. I think I got it fugured out in my head someone tell me if I am right.....Enter all the freq's associated with a tower..then enter the talkgroups that you want like the DOT, or ISP right?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I have a 785 so, maybe some differences between the 785 & 796 settings. I'm using control channel plan 2 and moto system type 2. I have only the control channel programmed, no other freq's for the site.

jeff.

Chaser945

Ok thanks, do you still enter the talkgroups the might be associated with that tower? i.e. for it would be all of Adams Countys TG. Then enter control for other towers? THen there TG's?

JacobInIndy

Didn't realize you we're using software.

I have had problems with my 785, 796, 250 and 296 trunking after I program with the software, user error i'm sure, but I can't figure it out.

Anyway, try programming the site by hand and se if that helps.

dpopski

Nothing yet

I've programmed this radio by hand and with software and still can't hear any traffic on the Indiana SouthBend saf t network.
Heres what I have set up: In bank 2 on channel 101, I programmed in the tower primary frequency of 860.76250. I set the system for control channel only and have tried both plan 2, 3 and 4 and even off and just don't copy anything.. If I stop on the channel 101 I get the chain saw sound and I see the display change from data to nf but thats it.
I also have the radio set up for Apco 25 at 800mhz.

Is the Safe t system running narrow band FM at 12.5khz or something else.

With this set as it is now I should be scanning the control tower and searching for ID tags. I have not programmed in any talkgroups for this system.

Is the Safe T system set up any differently then the Motorola trunking system used in Michigan. My Michigan trunking works fine but I sure am having a hard time with this Indiana system.

I'll take all the help I can get.

Chaser945

dpopski, you and me both as far as the help goes..I know I like programming conventional scanner better. I can't get this digital stuff figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.